Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kydandco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Introducing new dog to the family

I have a 16 month old speyed lab. I rescued her at 11 weeks. I have always had two dogs and am about to adopt a 2nd rescue dog on Sunday. The new dog is 18 months and is being speyed today. Over the past 30 years I have always introduced the 'old' dog to it's new play mate when it was a new pup no more than 10 - 12 weeks old.

Both dogs have met and got on well together. I would welcome some advice as both dogs are older, but still pups and the new arrival will only be 3 days post op. She is in a sorry state too, very under-weight, soft pads as hasn't been out, but very affectionate and gentle.

I don't want either dog to be upset or distressed. All hints and tips gratefully received.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Lol, cant help as i'm introducing a 1 year old entire male to my 2 year old neutered male and my 10 month entire male on Saturday! So i'll be interested to see what advice you're given (I have been given some tips in another thread but they werent specific!)
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't leave any food or toys lying about in case that sparks anything. Take the new dog into the back garden while your present dog is in a room then bring your dog out to the garden. That's what the rescue lady did when introducing our new rescue to the existing dog and they were fine. It sounds as if they are off to a good start already though if they got on before. Hope it all goes well on the big day. If you are relaxed, hopefully they will be.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:48 PM
As Elmac13 says, watch the things they are likely to fight over.
think carefully about feeding - some recommend not in the same room but then how do you ever know if they would be ok? - so alternative might be to seperate them with a baby gate or have them on leads.

Do expect some squabbling as they learn what is acceptable from each other. Little squabbles should be allowed to be sorted out between them - anything more serious you will need to step in.

Where the rescue happy at the closeness of your girls' ages - I would have thought that 2 bitches so close in age could potentially cause problems?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Me and Molly acquired Roxy on our Saturday afternoon walk a year and a half ago! Thankfully they have got on brilliantly since the very beginning and are best friends.

I'll second what Hali has said.....remove toys and treat etc, and other things that could cause a bit of a stramash at first! Let them suss each other out in the house with plenty of space for sniffs so they can get to know one another.....Unless it gets serious, don't intervene, leave them to get to know each other but so set boudaries so they know who is boss. Some dogs can easily become dominant.

I fed Molly first, then Roxy second. I put Molly's lead on first before walkies, and Roxy's on second. Gave Molly a treat first, then gave Roxy hers....You see where i'm going with this!

Ensure you also spend some time alone training/playing with your first dog.

Good luck with introducing your new dog!
kydandco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm so laid back I'm almost comatose most of the time!! LOL

Thanks for advice everyone. I had planned on new toys for both and Ebony's special toys being kept just for her. Have always fed, put lead on etc 'old' dog before new dog - so that's ok.

They will have to have 'time out' from each other so that new dog's recovery from surgery is not impaired.

We spent nearly two hours together so the rescue could be sure they were ok with each other. Being close in age I think is an advantage. They are both learning and being trained and that's good. Sometimes if there's a big gap the young one gets on the oldies nerves.

Will let you know how it goes.

Good luck to Leanne W - I'm sure all will be well for you and yours too!!
kydandco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Well Ebony and the new girl have been together a week now and it's all gone surprisingly well!! Ebony is over the moon at having her own playmate 'on tap'. The new girl has got the hang of house training remarkably quickly considering she spent most of her 18 months of life indoors. We've only had a couple of wees, no more than an egg cupful, except for the very first time she came in the house.

The only 'grumpy/growly' times are over food - to be expected as she was half starved. Ebony is very good - no complaints that she gets less meals than her new friend.

Have done lots of sit, wait, give food, take food away whilst eating, sit and wait again. She has learnt quickly. She loves chewies - they seem to be a whole new world for her, as are toys - she doesn't know what they are or what to do with them, poor love. The only problem seems to be a name for her - nothing seems to 'fit' her yet. ....

Thanks again to everyone for your help and support.
Love Karen and girls xxxx