Our sister sites
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Smelly Meggy

Hi,

Sorry to post this subject!

My 5 month old BC has stunk since I've had her from the rescue centre. It's not just farting either. Her bed stinks in the mornings and the whole room just smells of her. Evil!

Is it the food I'm feeding? She's still on the same food from the rescue - James Wellbeloved. I've heard that this is a good one? But is it making Meggy Smeggy do you think?!?

My older BC has always had a very tricky tummy and he's ended up on a proprietary supermarket brand - not the best I know but at least it stays in his tummy.

I've got loads of the JW stuff and also don't know when I should put her on adult food....

Help!

Thank you!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I doubt it is the food. Have the vet or even a groomer check the anal glands.

As for the food, if what the other dog is eating, is an all life stages food, go ahead and switch. A BC is at the bottom end of the size range where the fast growth of a puppy chow can lead to excess stress on developing joints. There is very little evidence that such brands as JWB are any better than anything else. See http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2009/07/pet...trition-myths/
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I doubt it is the food. Have the vet or even a groomer check the anal glands.

As for the food, if what the other dog is eating, is an all life stages food, go ahead and switch. A BC is at the bottom end of the size range where the fast growth of a puppy chow can lead to excess stress on developing joints. There is very little evidence that such brands as JWB are any better than anything else./
Labman when quoting your sceptic vet you really should remember to tell people he belongs to a company called Regulatory Discretion, Inc., a consulting firm for the pet food, animal feed, supplement and related industries . He also writes for a pet food journal in the USA so is not not what I would call an independent adviser.

I can find many vets and articles stating that a lot of complete food is full of crap, this is born out by the hundreds of dogs who have died or become ill in the USA from eating pet food contaminated with toxic substances.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Bo's mum View Post
Hi,

Sorry to post this subject!

My 5 month old BC has stunk since I've had her from the rescue centre. It's not just farting either. Her bed stinks in the mornings and the whole room just smells of her. Evil!

Is it the food I'm feeding? She's still on the same food from the rescue - James Wellbeloved. I've heard that this is a good one? But is it making Meggy Smeggy do you think?!?

My older BC has always had a very tricky tummy and he's ended up on a proprietary supermarket brand - not the best I know but at least it stays in his tummy.

I've got loads of the JW stuff and also don't know when I should put her on adult food....

Help!

Thank you!
Hi Bo's mum , not all foods agree with every dog, food can affect a dogs stomach/breath/anal glands and this can can in turn affect how a dog smells .
Your puppy may be teething, this can also make her breath smell.

I would have the anal glands checked first then consider trying another good quality food and switching to it gradually.
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for your advice - I'll get her checked out.

Her breath doesn't seem to smell - its just a general pong!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 01:27 PM
You could try an anti-bacterial shamoo for dogs? It could be a skin thing. Your vet will recommend one.
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Sounds like I should start with the vet and go from there. Thank you for your advice!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Labman when quoting your sceptic vet you really should remember to tell people he belongs to a company called Regulatory Discretion, Inc., a consulting firm for the pet food, animal feed, supplement and related industries . He also writes for a pet food journal in the USA so is not not what I would call an independent adviser.

I can find many vets and articles stating that a lot of complete food is full of crap, this is born out by the hundreds of dogs who have died or become ill in the USA from eating pet food contaminated with toxic substances.
Obviously not near the creditably source the help at PAH who have learned all they know from some salesman.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2010, 08:49 AM
I've had that a lot with my puppy.
On the odd occasion when I cant be with him and manage the situation, he poos in the house and eats it! All that remains is a nasty smell!
Can you rule out Coprophagia?