Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by leo
have you checked the wires etc nothing loose between them?
just wondering if that why it cant connect up if dans is ok.
you and pc just dont mix like you do with the baileys fox.

Hi Leo - no there aren't any wires - its a wireless connection because its upstairs in her bedroom - it just connects by the Belkin wotsit (see theres a new word for you ) that plugs into the USB port and flashes when it is connected - and its flashing but won't connect to the internet and the belkin router is downstairs.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
foxy when you change a connection it is always advisable to deactivate a firewall or an antivirus and it takes time for it to find the connection if you want to help it find the connection quicker goto / START / OPENNETWORK CONNECTIONS / click on the one you use with the right mouse button and say REPAIR / try that

I will go up and have another go then and maybe take a photo of the wotsits so that you can both see what is happening
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Right I'm back - armed with photos

Don't know if you can see anything obvious in these piccys
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 09:31 PM
yes foxy perfect disable the firewall first then disable the local area lan connection and disable 1394 connection the networksetup you don`t need to do not nesssacery to connect to the internet then reboot if it doesn`t connect do a repair but with the firewall disabled it is trying to connect through the lan and you don`t use that you use the wireless
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 09:35 PM
yes foxy perfect disable the firewall first then disable the local area lan connection and disable 1394 connection the networksetup you don`t need to do not nesssacery to connect to the internet then reboot if it doesn`t connect do a repair but with the firewall disabled it is trying to connect through the lan and you don`t use that you use the wireless

But mine is connected through the Lan Fred so shouldn't Lauras connect through that as well as we share a connection? I don't really know where the 1394 connection come from - its a complete mystery to me The only connection that is enabled at the moment is the 1394 connection - I can't get any of the other two to enable.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Don't worry about that 1394 connection that more for firewire and not your internet you can disable it cause i got mine disabled you don't need it.

First things first can your pc see it's self?
(you do this by going to START/SEARCH/For Files or Folders once this is clicked choose the option search for computers and put this in ** that is a wild card and should find any pc on you network even it's self turm off all your firewalls and anti virus while you do this)

The reason why the lan has got the red X next to it is cause you have not got the cable that connects the router to the pc (Only need to set the wireless connection up) If you plug it in the red X should disapear.

Try that for now to see if any of that sorts somthings out then we'll go on from there
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
But mine is connected through the Lan Fred so shouldn't Lauras connect through that as well as we share a connection? I don't really know where the 1394 connection come from - its a complete mystery to me The only connection that is enabled at the moment is the 1394 connection - I can't get any of the other two to enable.
the 1394 is firewire conection if you don`t need it at the momment disable it you can always enable it later

the lan connection is with a cable connected to your computer you are using wireless not lan don`t get confused you can disable that as well

deactivate your firewall that will stop it or make it difficult to connect then reboot it should connect if not do a repair then it should work for you
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 09:42 PM
you can type faster than me leo no point in both giving the same advice
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 09:43 PM
the 1394 is firewire conection if you don`t need it at the momment disable it you can always enable it later

the lan connection is with a cable connected to your computer you are using wireless not lan don`t get confused you can disable that as well

deactivate your firewall that will stop it or make it difficult to connect then reboot it should connect if not do a repair then it should work for you

When you say reboot - what do you mean - restart the computer or something else?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by leo
Don't worry about that 1394 connection that more for firewire and not your internet you can disable it cause i got mine disabled you don't need it.

First things first can your pc see it's self?
(you do this by going to START/SEARCH/For Files or Folders once this is clicked choose the option search for computers and put this in ** that is a wild card and should find any pc on you network even it's self turm off all your firewalls and anti virus while you do this)

The reason why the lan has got the red X next to it is cause you have not got the cable that connects the router to the pc (Only need to set the wireless connection up) If you plug it in the red X should disapear.

Try that for now to see if any of that sorts somthings out then we'll go on from there
But I can't plug a wire in though because I haven't got one to plug in because we only have one and it goes from the phone socket to the my computer and it won't reach upstairs anyway. How do I go about setting the wireless connection up then - perhaps I have been doing it wrong
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »