Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Could it be a bad sign? Limping/stiffness

I'm not really sure whats happening, and whether it should be a cause for concern or not, but the last few nights Diesel has gone to get up, but has been a bit stiff in one of his legs, he's young, four in June, but what makes me wonder a bit more is that its his wierd leg, and what I mean by that is that its the leg which has half a toe missing, I don't really know how to describe it, its not got the full amount of pad, but it has got the nail, its also the leg that 9/10 when he sits down it goes to a wierd angle, most of the time he will get up and sit back down until its normal, so right now I don't know whether its just that he's been laying down for a long time, and the leg is stiff because of that, or whether it could be the signs of something else and connected to how his leg is? I'm also wondering whether I should wait a couple of days and see if it sorts itself out, or whether I should get him checked out at the vets now, and if it does continue whether any oils could help him?

Heres a pic of how Diesel sits, I can also get a pic of his foot if anyone wants to see that too

Also just thought I'd say, I know that although no-one can know 100% from seeing it online what is wrong, I thought that I would ask anyway, just incase someone has had a simalar experience.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:37 PM
It could be anything from a pulled muscle, torn ligament or even the start of arthritis.
Only one place to find out, the vet
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I think I'm going to call the vets in the morning, and get him a appoitment, I just hope its something simple, and not something that will have a longterm effect on his running, as Diesel will be miserable if he can't get out and run regulary, so fingers crossed the vets will go well.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:10 PM
My mum's weimaraner sits with her front legs like that quite a lot, but she is pretty old and stiff. Hope the vet can give you some good news.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
That is how Shady started off. Not saying its what Shady has but you are describing the same symptoms as she had back in Feburary.
Give him complete rest until your vets opens on Tue, no running or anything and only 10mins lead walk a day if he really needs something. He may have just tweaked a muscle which will be fine after a dy or twos rest.
If he is still the same then go and get it checked out.
I will say at the vets though Shady came up sound in the beginning because of the adrenalin rush there and didn't complain when the leg was manipulated. It was the x-rays that showed she had a problem in the beginning.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:35 PM
God I forgot it was a bank holiday, I'll just limit exercise until we can get there then, and see if there is any improvement in him, and then see what the vets say.
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
It could be he's slightly overdone it, knocked himself or just caught it funny and its made him a bit stiff. Our dogs have done all of the above before. We often find a good rub helps them or rest.

Hopefully he will be better soon but a vets visit will put your mind at rest.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2010, 04:23 PM
How is he today?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Hes been ok today, but its been in the evening that he's been stiff, so I'll wait and see what he's like later too
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Did you get to the vet today?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >