View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ReggieRuby
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Help with my 6 month chocolate labrador poohing at night please!

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me. I have a lovely 6 month old chocolate labrador who is an absolute delight, the only problem continues to be her toileting in her pen at night and I mean poohs as well as wees! In the morning she is invariably covered in it and this is then paced around the kitchen floor on her way out to the garden. I managed to get her clean for nearly 2 weeks and then following her worming tablet it all started again. Please help, I dont know how much more of this I can take!
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:51 PM
The simple, but not so nice answer is that you need to get up to let her out in the night! She obviously can't hold it just yet, otherwise she wouldn't be pooing in her pen, so you'll need to get up so she is able to go outside.

If the poo isn't very healthy, and as it's happened since the worming tablet, a trip to the vet might be worthwhile if it's on-going. But if the poo is perfectly normal, then it's a case of getting up with her I'm afraid!
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2008, 02:45 PM
What time do you give her the last feed of the day? I would try and make that a bit earlier a make sure she poos before you put her to bed, its very unusual for a dog to dirty their sleeping quarters. |Good luck!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I have heard that you really shouldn't feed a dog after 5 pm, especially if they are needing to go in the middle of the night.

Do you have set times for feeds or do you let her eat when she wants. If it is the latter than i would control her meal times, only feeding three times a day and never after 5 pm.

what food are you feeding? Is it pedigree chum by any chance?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I have a two yr old dog who came to me about a month ago after having NO toilet training previously (she had been kept in kennels). For the first two weeks of having her I concentrated on getting her to go on command during the day. After a couple of weeks, she was clean and dry during the day (but still went inside at night, both wees and poos) and was 'letting me know' when she wanted to go.

So then I decided to step it up a notch and try to get her clean and dry at night. I kept her in my room at night thinking she'd 'let me know' if she wanted out. Well for two weeks she simply didn't go at night! Then I moved her back down to the kitchen and I'm happy to say she is now clean at night too. We still have the odd wee, but most of the time she's clean AND dry so it's going very well.

Perhaps you could take your dog up to your room for a couple of weeks? (Assuming she 'asks' to be let out during the day.)
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 04:05 PM
i have a lab pup she is not fed after 5pm, she has 2 meals aday and a few training treats in the day, she has been clean since 7mths she does sleep up stairs with us though she is let out at 9.30pm for last toilet like the rest of the doglets and she will go round till 7am some times later before she needs to go. What wormer did you give her hun maybe it has upset her a bit. It might be that you will need to get up in the night for a little while and let her out again, or try taking her up stairs if you can maybe get a crate so not runing free but safe. She might start to let you now if she needs to go then. Sorry not much more i can think of, but if it is out of place may be see the vet make sure she is ok not ill. good luck
ReggieRuby
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
The simple, but not so nice answer is that you need to get up to let her out in the night! She obviously can't hold it just yet, otherwise she wouldn't be pooing in her pen, so you'll need to get up so she is able to go outside.

If the poo isn't very healthy, and as it's happened since the worming tablet, a trip to the vet might be worthwhile if it's on-going. But if the poo is perfectly normal, then it's a case of getting up with her I'm afraid!
Thanks for that, this is exactly what I aim to do, only trouble is I am working a night shift tonight and hubby is rather a deep sleeper, she doesn't always let you know when she wants to go out and if she does it is only a faint whimper, just hope he gets up!
ReggieRuby
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks for that, this is exactly what I plan to do, only trouble is I am working a night shift tonight so it is up to hubby! The other problem is she doesn't always let me know and I think he will divorce me if I start setting alarms!
ReggieRuby
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Today I am giving her last feed much earlier, it is normally about 17.00hrs. The trouble is she has been clean and dry after a meal time later than this, there doesn't seem to be a pattern here!
ReggieRuby
New Member!
Female 

29-06-2008, 04:16 PM
She has got set meal times, it is essential with Ruby because she would eat all day if she could! She is fed very early in the morning upon waking at about 6.00am then again after her walk at about 11.00am then again at about 17.00hrs. I am thinking about reducing her to 2 meals a day now she is 6 months stopping the 17.00hrs feed. I feed her on Royal Canin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >