View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2007, 09:42 PM

how can I get his split ear to heal? ( staffie x)

A few weeks ago, Lennox had a skin flare up and went really pimply, we changed his food and it went so unless it happens again I'm thinking that it was just his food that didn't agree with him (we gave him pasta as Perry has it a lot and thrives on it) Anyway, he ended up wit a pimple on the edge of his ear and it got knocked off whilst rough n tumbling. It went crusty and hard and I left it to heal and kept an eye on it as I didn't want to mess but it had a lot of build up on it and everytime he shook his head it split open again Since then I've bathed it in salt water once and popped Perrys snood on his head to keep his ear from flapping when he shakes, he's less than impressed with his new designer headgear (and looks like the wolf in grannies clothing in red riding hood ) When he's at the kennels with me and at night I don't like to leave it on incase he gets tangled up but that means it does get the occasional knock. Someone suggested superglue on it which I thought of before but wanted to check it would be safe to use or should I buy doggy liquid bandage to be on the safe side? Or can anyone else think of any tips to help it heal? cheers, Nicky x
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Nicky,
Please don't use superglue as it will burn your dogs ear,i have seen novice owners use superglue to glue there pups ears,so they willl break over nicely and it has burn't all the way through the ear.
I would suggest buying something especially made for dogs or a visit to your vet.
Hope it heals up soon.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi Perrypooh if watched and bathed occasionally with a saline solution as and when required the spot should heal up ok on its own .
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 02:53 AM
you could try a lampshade type collar when your not with him. i use one on mine who has sore ears