View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I have always had dogs in my life, when I was born my parents had a large collie X, he died when I was 10 and we got a Cairn puppy. I knew all of the neighbourhood dogs by name and walked many of them. When I left school at 16, I started working in a local vets surgery where I adopted a rescue GSD. This is where I saw my first Siberian Husky (still a rare breed at this time) I was hooked, I became friends with her owner and started to handle her dogs at shows in 1984(Sibes and Elkhounds) I rescued a Sibe x Collie puppy and started to do a bit of obedience with both the GSD & Sibe x. I eventually married one of the vets I worked with and in 1990 I finally got my first Sibe. I have been showing and working since then. I now own 6 Sibes, I show regularly and work them in the winter. I have bred 3 litters and I now award CCs in Siberians. I still work part-time in my husband's practice so i am constantly surrounded by dogs.....it's great I can't ever imagine not having a dog and plan to have sibe's for many years to come.
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2007, 01:52 AM
I've always been around dogs - since 1942!

Always loved them.

Always wanted them to be with me.

I had a time in the early 1980's, when I was renting and couldn't have a dog.

I was so miserable!

It lasted about 6 months.

I bought a GSD puppy and left it at the breeders kennels - we, (my children and I) visited daily.

As soon as we had a home where we could have the pup, we brought it home. (was about 3 weeks)

Since then, even though I have "lost" a few companions, I have never been without a puppy/dog.

I can't imagine life without a dog beside me.

They are such compassionate and caring creatures.

And, if you do it right, they are the friend, the companion, the protector you need.

Dogs are the carers/friends for old people (why else do they take "good" dogs to old people homes?) - the cause for them to get out and about - I know I owe my current pup/dog for me losing about 8kg in weight - for having a greater interest in life.

Dogs are great - more children should have them - they teach responsibilty - love - sharing and care.
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2007, 09:24 PM
My mum had dogs when i was a baby,the last dog she had was a german shepherd but she had to be put down when i was about 2 because she got terminal cancer.After that we didnt have dogs untill my mum met her ex partner,I would have been about 8 when we moved in with him.We had 2 beautiful labs,one black and one yellow.When these 2passed i asked for another dog everyday but was always told no.
then when i was 12 and my grandad passed away we took on his 10 year old yorkshire terrier peppie.She was my baby I loved her so much.We had to have peppie put to sleep 3 years later at the grand old age of 13 (everything was failing on her)losing peppie was extra painful as she was the last thing we had of grandads and after that mom said that she couldnt go through the pain of losing any more dogs so we wouldnt be having any more.
Then when i was 17 I went home from work one night to find the most beautiful little beagle pup on our lounge floor,ill never forget his little face,he turned into my shadow,he was my baby,my best friend,for the next 2 years charlie and i did everything together,then disaster,my mum and her partner went through a very nasty seperation,i ended up at my boyfriends house and mum in a tiny 1 bedroomed flat,i tried so hard to hold on to charlie but my partner had a jrtx who HATED other dogs,and it wouldnt have been right for charlie to be in a 1 bedroomed flat,so we had to re home him,it broke my heart,not to mention my mums.
My partners dog had to be put down last year,we wasted no time in getting 2 lakeland x patterdale terrier pups when we braught our own house.They are our babies and NOTHING is to much trouble for them,they make our family complete,we were originally looking for a beagle but at the time couldnt find any,i will have beagles again one day,not with the 2 i have tho,they already keep me on my toes,they dont need a beagle to help them!!!!!!

so i guess you can say ive been "into" dogs my whole life.

sorry for babbleing on
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2007, 01:25 AM
How long have I been into dogs ?!?!?

Well .... here is a hint. My mother always said that the only reason she agreed to marry my father was because he promised her a German Shepherd!

So, four years after they married I appeared and one month later our first GSD puppy! We have had two female GSDs, one St. Bernard, one Sheltie cross, one Lab/Setter cross, one Airdale mix, our GSD male Bosco( who died in September 2006) and now a mix breed, Daisy.

We are now in the process of looking for a female GSD puppy who will one day have Bosco's puppies. We have his semen stored at a canine sperm bank.

Life without dogs? I cannot bear the thought!

C3D
bullterrier
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I was brought up with a huge GSD called Striker, he was 1 year younger than me. My mother also had a Yorkie called Smarty (blame my younger brother for the awful name). We then had a Jack Russel called Sam, great little dog but damn, did his breath smell. My father then bought another GSD who was called Storm. So basically this led me up to the age of 25.
I got my first dog, a black brindle Bullterrier called Jack when I was 30 (the ex misses Bullterrier kept him, she still has him & he`s doing fine. Missed him more than her). After 5 years without a dog I bought another black brindle Bullterrier called Archie and a brindle Stafford bitch called Calla.
After I bought my first Bullterrier, my father told me my Grandfather had had 2 white ones (didn`t know this, he died along time before I was born). Strange but true.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2007, 01:41 PM
ok here goes . our 1st dog was an italian greyhound cald brandy my dad bought him frm a breeder he was so tiny he carried him home in his overcoat pocket to keep him warm . we had him 16 yrs until he fell asleep forever . we have also owned a lab ali cross , a ali collie cross , a staffie a chiuhha jr cross ,. we have also owned the following rabbits, budgies, mice, rats, canarys , fish, and several cats over the years . most of which were either strays we took in or frm animal shelters and thats just when i lived at home with my parents . were a family of animal lovers . my sister eileen owns a cat that was dumped with her kittens . my aunt has two cats she had three til her eldest male died a few days ago ,. my sister dorothy has owned a jr ,a napoletan mastiff who died suddenly frm liver failure . also she owned a pomeraniun .cats love birds and fish . at present she has a male boxer cald buster . my other sis mary owns a pom and some cats . i own at present 3 boxers . i had a boxer cross who died last year .mum and dad own a black an tan jr and goldfish . so that said finaaly i guess the answer is all my life
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
My parents had an Irish Setter before I was born but sadly he died of shock during the bombing.,then when I was 4 we had a lurcher but he died at 15 months from Distemper, even though he had been vacinated. Father wanted a dog who would take care of me so bought a German Shepherd & insisted I took her to training classes. She had a litter & we kept & showed one & apart from about 5 months we have had GSDs ever since so thats 59 years of dogs.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 12:21 AM
25 years. I was born into dogs. My family raised working shetland sheepdogs and owned a boarding kennel. My "real" experience began with Moxie, my first own working dog. I never plan to be without a dog.
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Bracken (labxgoldie) was there when I was born & he was an angel dog definately 1 in a million.He started my dog loving obsession He had to be PTS when I was 9 due to a tumour. My aunt & uncle had a GSD guard dog called Ricky who was not a fan of most people, especially small children but loved me to pieces.
When we lost Bracken Mum & Dad lasted a month before getting Baron (goldie x irish setter), sadly he had to be PTS at the age of 4 due to severe epilepsy
Dad then refused to have another dog, so I had to make do with fussing & loving other people's dogs until September when our loveable nutcase Louie came into our lives - and I now don;t ever want to be without 1 again (infact I'd love to get another in the not to distant future )

So I suppose that I've been into dogs since I was born
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I have always been "into dogs" or anything furry for that matter since I can remember. I got my first dog, a retired alsation guard dog when I turned 16. Sadly he sufered from Athritus and had to be put to sleep in 2003, a week before my son was born. I have fostered many others between then and now, but feel ready to commit to owning my own again.
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »