Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Lets say food refusal for one...

There is one thing that i notice daily. Where i live now there are lots off dogs-dogowners. The 2 types are represented those who work their dogs and those who have them as pets. Without exception you can see from far which type off dogowner is comming towards you with his dog. If he's off leash and listens well it's a working dog; be it a ringdog like mine or a retriever for hunting. Those dogs are well trained, well mannered, well nourished etc. If on the other hand you see someone comming towards you with an overfed dog that is pulling like hell, and lunches towards you etc you know it is a petdog. Other thing early in the morning you only see workingdogs and unshaven/unwashed workingdogowners with sleepy eyes walking thier dogs.

Strange

Greetings

Johan

Blimey, even that is stretching generalising to breaking point !!!!

Are you seriously saying any dog which does not do show ringcraft or whatever activity will be a bad mannered uncontrollable fat dog ?!!!!!!

Please tell me you just worded poorly or are joking !
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2006, 04:57 PM
i like it. i watch spca houston and there was this rottie who was sooo aggressive it would attack strangers ended up in rehabilitation but the way i see it once a bitter always one especially in that dogs case. i couldnt keep a fear bitter im scared of them as i was bitten by a gsd and really jumpy hense the reason i got a mad cocker spaniel that snores
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Funny or not? Sorry Johan but the answer is 'not' for me.

I do have a sense of humour perhaps I am reading it wrongly but to me the story pours scorn on those who seek to train dogs with care and consideration.... this is emphasised by the last line ......

''And 6 months later the dog is euthanised because to dangerous.....'''.

Tying to understand the way a dog thinks and feels and to train it without the use of punishment may be viewed as anthropomorphism by some, and if this is the case I am guilty of that and not ashamed of the fact.

I was brought up to treat all living things with respect, I don't view animals as being 'lesser beings' than humans 'just different' beings. I am also aware that some people can go a bit over the top with the way they treat their pets, but for many they are a substitute for family or friends and so in my view it is no bad thing and certainly preferable to those who neglect their dogs or treat them as merely 'working tools'

Forgive me if I appear to be overeacting to a 'funny story' which just happened to be posted on a day we lost a valued member who dedicated much of her spare time to training dogs using care and consideration for both the dogs and their owners.

Hopefully I will regain my sense of humour soon....
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 05:17 PM
You've put into words exactly what I've been thinking over the past few days Mini,...thankyou for that.

I was lucky enough to attend a talk by a top behaviourist and trainer yesterday. Wow! She uses positive reinforcement to make a big difference and was talking about some of her case histories, using them to illustate the power of this done correctly.

Story in brief; she was called to see a jrt who was aggressive to everything - humans, other dogs, all animals it came into contact with. It wore a prong collar and every time the owner pulled the dog using the collar, the dog bit her. A police dog trainer had tried to stop the aggression, and by his own admission used as much force on this feisty but small dog as he said he would on a gsd There was no more punishment or correction left for this jrt.

Police trainer had no more tools in his training/behaviour box. He suggested pts.

The dog was relieved of his prong collar and taken away by the trainer/behaviourist and in just under 4 months, using nothing but positive reinforcement and controlling resources such as food, the dog was totally rehabbed and was rehomed successfully in Surrey with another jrt (a huge achievement considering this dog hated all dogs before).

This dog would have otherwise, of course, been put to sleep as there was no other option. Using an understanding of canine training and behaviour, he was a different dog
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5