View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2005, 11:26 AM

dog Insurance, do you think it is worth it?

Hi Everyone.

I have Ernie ad my two cats insured with a company that will payout if they have something wrong with them for the rest of there lives, not just the following year.

Noe my cats are eight so adding this up I have paid the insurance company £1344 and claimed £400 for a problem they had when they where kittens which never got solved anyway! Based on there age, I will problably pay them another £1344. (that is for 2 cats)

Ernie is only 6 months and I have never claimed but in his lifetime I will pay at least £2600.

Now looking at hte odds of something terrible happening, I am seriously thinking of putting this money into a savings account, making some money on interst and using it when needed, rather than giving it to an insurance Company! Waht do you all think/do?

Thanks!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Don't really know what I think - we haven't insured our cats but Takara is insured but only 5 months old.

Our cats have never needed it at all! they have never been to the vet apart from flea treatment, worming tablets that sort of thing...

but then they're moggies, not pure breeds.

Takara is a dalmatian and judging on how many potential health risks there are with pedigrees, I would rather have her insured. I know that I wouldn't put the money into a saving's account if I didn't pay insurance, I'd end up spending it!

they do say you're twice as likely to claim on pet insurance than on car insurance everyone insures their cars (mainly because you have to) so it makes sense to insure your pets.

but - it's up to you, if you feel you would put that money into a savings account then go ahead, but if you do have a problem, will you have saved up enough money by the time the problem arises. the 2600 figure is for his whole life time what if he needed expensive care in the next few months?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Always used to insure mine but now only do it for the first year and put the amount I would have spent into the Hound Account (saving account) and transfer as needed into the Vet Account (current account) that way you earn interest on the money. This PC was bought from the amount accrued in the Hound Account.

When I looked at what I claimed for and what I paid for anyway it was in my case anyway far more than the insurance paid out and then they started to increase the restrictions year by year until I began to wonder just what they were covering, so I stopped and so far have been in pocket by it and could now afford several thousand pound if it were needed.

Having said this it is up to the individual to work out what is best for them but you have to choose the insurance very carefully and read all the small print, I have had a few shocks myself thinking I was covered and finding out I was not. Think the prize for stupidity must go to the insurance company who informed me that because my bitch had had a hysterectomy because she had an infection in the womb following a mating that they would not pay out for the same operation again nor any treatment for a reoccurrence of an infection of the womb.
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2005, 12:43 PM
does anyon eknow who is the best insurers to go with, like thordell has said there seem to be alot of restrictions in most.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Loustaff
does anyon eknow who is the best insurers to go with, like thordell has said there seem to be alot of restrictions in most.
I'm with Marks and spencer...very good cover at a good price
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 01:51 PM
We are with M&S too.

I sometimes wonder if it would be worth it or not - but I believe she can only have a pet passport if she's insured, and I'm moving to France soon.

That reminds me - my puss will need a microchip, vaccinations, the lot!

but - yeah - I just assumed it was the best thing to do!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 02:09 PM
we were going to insure but because my two come under the rare breeds act the insurance was a ridiculous amount!!!! so instead we have a "hound account" (quite worried that we call it the same thing), and thats covered any problems (ziggie has practically lived at the vets sometimes), also helps that our vets are very reasonably priced - he had an operation on his front feet (dew claw amputation and nerve repair) care before it, after and during all for £120 which i thought was very reasonable considering the amount of anti-inflamatories, painkillers, specisal care under anaesthetic and everything that went into it - the vet even made time to get to know him and make his visits a pleasent experiance - man i love our vet!!!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 02:46 PM
I now 'bank' mine-although it takes a while to build up,we used to use the kennel club insurance as 'pet plan' became too expensive.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 02:48 PM
YES!!

Teagan is 20 months old, and in the past 2 months, vets bills total nearly £3000
Wouldn't have been able to afford to pay this if I didn't have insurance!
Part of it has been paid direct to the vet, and part I paid first, and got back.

I am with M&S....£10.65 a month, no excess
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 03:09 PM
I dont know, I'm with More Than and I did have to claim once when they had to be kenneled , I thought the dogs would be covered because my OH was taken to hospital, but even though he is the joint owner of them both they were insured solely in my name and there was hiccup about whether they would pay or not. When I first rang them and enquired whether or not we were covered, the person I spoke to, spoke to someone in a high position and then came back to me saying your covered, and we'll send out the claim forms, when I sent the claim form back though it was denied, and I kicked up a HUGE stink, mainly because I had been told they would pay then they were changing their minds ! They did send me a cheque within a week though, so they were good on that front.

With Casper possibly needing more treatment in the future (he's having a load of tests etc today) I know they will pay up quite quickly. But I think in the way distant future when I get another dog I'll do the same as Thordell and insure for the first year then open a seperate 'Hound Account' and transfer money into that each month as my insurance is going up each year. I pay 12.50 per dog and have a £50 excess.

That's my thoughts anwyay
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »