Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Another new addition...

A temporary one.

I appear to be hand rearing a wood pigeon baby

It would seem he (nicknamed Leonard) has jumped the nest a little too soon and landed on our patio.

He's not injured but despite his best flapping attempts his wings just aren't yet strong enough.

He's not a tiny baby but he still has downy feathers on and around his chest area and doesn't have a ring around his neck yet.

I don't think it'll be long until he's ready to go but I have a few people on hand who have done this before to help me out and my vets are very close by should I need them. I've never hand reared a bird before although my dad will know how as his dad used to all the time.

Got some fab advice and for now he's sat in the office in a cat carrier with some seed (which I'm leaving in there and then giving him feeds 3-4 times a day) and a bowl of water just to let him settle.

We brought him in last night as it was so cold and wet and he'd been there since at least 7am that morning and today I put him back out again to see if he might fly but he can only just jump up a garden step and his parents have been but can't shift him

I would've left him there in the hope they'd feed him up til he's strong enough but we have so many foxes and my dogs go in the garden I didn't like the thought of leaving him to be eaten!

I can't see a nest anywhere so have no idea where he's come from but will do my best to raise him and release him.

Any advice anyone has to offer please feel free I've never done it before so please be gentle!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 02:26 PM
awww well done you

what are you feeding it??

and also a coupe of pics would be nice

as you know i handrear birds but mine are parrots, but then i suppose a baby bird is a baby bird, so if you want any help please just ask, but it seems you have everything covered and people to help too
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks Jackie! I did think about you - I'm trying not to tame him (or her!) so that he can be released and not at risk from people/cats/dogs etc. but I guess the rest of it is very similar!

A friend who has done it before suggested mealworms - preferably live but said ready dead would be ok to feed him a few times a day (and to try to feed him from the floor) as well as the seed in his box. When he's a bit bigger and stronger to then try chasing him around the garden to get his wings flapping. I will probably ask the guy I know who has reared and released smaller garden birds to help me when it comes to him actually taking flight.

To be quite honest, he's gorgeous! He's not small and fluffy he's sort of trying to look all tall and grown up but he's just not I will try to get a few piccies, was just letting him settle in first.

Not entirely sure what my mother will say when she finds out he's here to stay for a while but it was her idea to bring him in in the first place!!

Thanks for the offer of help - I may need it!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 02:38 PM
well you seem to be doing the right things Lottie

we raised a swallow 2 years ago and did what you did live mealworms and water

although we fed it several times a day it stayed wild, and when we released it it was a great feeling to watch it fly off, it did circle the house a couple of times but soon forgot about us and went on its way

good luck hun and well done for taking the baby in
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Hmm...

I've taken pictures and am now doubting his identity as a young wood pigeon... if anyone knows, I'd be very grateful for your ideas! I don't recognise birds easily but before I got a proper look at him I thought he was a wood pigeon and he does have fluffy feathers around his chest and legs.

When my mum gets back tonight I'm going to try and check him over to ensure he's not actually injured but he doesn't show any sign of injury. If I'm still unsure I'll pop him to my vet tomorrow.

Anyway, here he is - in his cat carrier. I'll find somewhere to let him out for a feed later. Any thoughts on whether I've ID'd him correctly would be much appreciated!

Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I've had a friend look and she says he's an 'adult in training' and just needs to learn to fly but isn't vulnerable like a baby (which makes me feel better!)

So I have to train him to fly!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2009, 06:19 PM
awwww its ded cute

good luck lottie!!!!
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2009, 11:26 PM
could he be a ring necked dove
well done for takin the time to care for him
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Wow well done Lottie. He is a beautiful bird whatever he is I wouldn't have a clue. Keep the pics coming. It will be really interesting to follow his progress
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >