Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janemg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2010, 05:46 PM

How to get weight on?

Meg our dog has lost weight. We are now in a position that we have to get weight on to a labrador, you would think this would be easy but we are not sure how to go about it as she is already on the max for her food. (Whites chicken and rice). Does any one know of some good things we could add to this to help her to gain some weight. The vet thought that her lose of weight is due to changing her to a better food and the fact that she now has much more exercise. thanks
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by janemg View Post
Meg our dog has lost weight. We are now in a position that we have to get weight on to a labrador, you would think this would be easy but we are not sure how to go about it as she is already on the max for her food. (Whites chicken and rice). Does any one know of some good things we could add to this to help her to gain some weight. The vet thought that her lose of weight is due to changing her to a better food and the fact that she now has much more exercise. thanks
Things like tripe can help, but to be honest if she has lost weight on the new food, it might be that its just not suitable for her (some dogs do well on certain foods which others don't) and if she were mine, I'd be tempted to change to something else.

How much weight does she need to gain?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 08:16 PM
What food is it? Is it Burns? My dogs lost weight on that because it has such a low fat content. I put them on Arden Grange which is equally good but has more fat and they gained it.
I also supplement with raw tripe and lamb breast when they need building up.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 08:18 PM
How about peanut butter? My dogs have a little bit of this in a kong or in an apple.
janemg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi thanks for replies. Meg needs to gain about 1kg. The food she is on is Whites Chicken and Rice. Whites is a small independant internet supplier. Might try peanut butter in her kong. As we are new to this not always sure what we can try. Thanks
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by janemg View Post
she is already on the max for her food.
If her ribs are showing, don't let what the package says keep you from feeding more. More often than not the package is too high, but some dogs just need more food. It took 6 cups a day of Pro Plan to keep Lucky's ribs hidden. I don't know if some other food would have worked or not. More Pro plan did.

Whatever you do, don't add a bunch of unbalanced junk to his food. Just more of the Whites.

If you do decide to try a different food, get something different than chicken and rice. Maybe beef and barley or something.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
If her ribs are showing, don't let what the package says keep you from feeding more. More often than not the package is too high, but some dogs just need more food. It took 6 cups a day of Pro Plan to keep Lucky's ribs hidden. I don't know if some other food would have worked or not. More Pro plan did.

Whatever you do, don't add a bunch of unbalanced junk to his food. Just more of the Whites.

If you do decide to try a different food, get something different than chicken and rice. Maybe beef and barley or something.
I agree that the feeding guidelines on the packets are just that - guidelines and so an individual dog may need more than the packet states. However, there comes a point when you can't simply keep increasing the amount of kibble you feed because the dog will not be able to digest it properly and this could have the opposite affect to that intended.

I wouldn't class tripe and lamb breast as junk.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:16 AM
I have always used raw tripe to get weight on dogs, if needed. Although, beware - it stinks

I also agree about guidelines on the food you are currently feeding. If she still seems hungry after eating then try feeding her a little extra.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Like others I use breast of lamb and tripe.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:54 AM
If you get freeflow tripe you can feed it direct from the freezer pack - no smell.