Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
laralast
New Member!

17-10-2004, 11:08 PM

Cane Corso

Hi there
I'm new to this site and have registered for some info on Cane Corso. They seem like a gorgeous breed and although I am currently not in the position to own one as me and my partner both work full time, we are thinking about it for the future should our circumstances change.

I am finding it difficult to gauge how much we should expect to pay for a dog, I've visited some breeders websites but they don't openly say how much they cost. How much should we expect to pay??

I've also read that they are not good for first time dog owners. Me and my partner have both grown up around dogs (labradors, daschunds etc), is our inexperience a real 'no-no'??

Thanks in advance.
laralast
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

17-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Hi laura and welcome to Dogweb! :smt039

The best thing to do re the price would be to email as many breeders as possible as it can vary.

Regarding them as not a good breed for the first timers - I would agree. They can be dominent and dog agreessive (its the same for nearly all bull-breeds). I would research them as much as possibe b4 making a decision! If possible go and visit a few breeders and have a chat with them, if they are reputable they will soon let you know if they think you wont be suitible

I was very nervous when we went for the Presa as I knew I was on test lol!

God luck tho!
laralast
New Member!

17-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks eRaze

Your dog looks cute, what is the breed? I've heard of it before but don't know much about them, are they similar to the Cane Corso??
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

17-10-2004, 11:23 PM
He's a Presa Canario - yes they are quite similar to CCs

What made you choose the CC? they are quite different from Labs and Daschunds!
laralast
New Member!

17-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Labs and Daschunds have been our family pets as we were growing up, parents choices, not our own.

We've been looking at different breeds for a while. We both like butch/athletic short haired dogs, fairly large, and have seen some gorgeous pictures of Corsos. And they seem to have lovely proportions. Only problem we're finding with this type of dog in general is they seem to need alot of attention and they have quirks i.e. dominance, aloof with strangers, they seem to be hard work (which I'm sure is worth it in the end!). Seems like quite a life changing decision!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

17-10-2004, 11:40 PM
You are right about their 'quirks'. They take a lot of work. We have been lucky with Rocky to date... *touch wood*
But it is a serious decision - the bull type breeds generaly dont start a fight, but they wouldn't back down - so it means if a dog acted aggressively towards your dog it would want to run and act the same back - meaning u could get pulled into a road etc.

They are great breeds but just have a think about what situations it could get you in and in you think you could handle it. I'd def go visit as many breeders as possible and spend some time with breed.
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2004, 03:19 AM
You will have to have a good think about this breed, i have owned large molosser breeds for years, Cane Corso are the kind of breed that are not for the first time molosser owner.
Also with this breed i am lead to belive you have to be really careful who you buy from as theres a lot of lines out there which are not good..HD..OCD..FITS..Entropion.
The price of this breed can be between £1200 - £1500 for a good quality puppy, beware of back street breeders, and only buy from health tested parents.
Personaly and truthfully i wouldnt go for this breed as your first molosser (which it would be ) but thats just my opinion
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Welcome laura, dont know anything bout CC's accept they are gorgeous, good luck in anything you decide!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi Laura welcome to dogweb :smt039

I must admit that i have not heard of of the breed that you are thinking of getting so i looked them up and they are a lovely looking breed so i can not comment one this breed for a first time dog.Below is a link to one of the uk breeders of Cane Corso with history and other stuff.

http://www.cane-corso.co.uk/index.htm
laralast
New Member!

18-10-2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all your replies!
The other breed I was wondering about was a boxer, would you say they are alot easier to keep as a first time owner than the Corso?? I believe they are quite bad chewers and mischievous!? Is it the kind of dog that if left for up to 3 hours would end up eating your house??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >