Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2015, 09:26 PM

Cultural thing??

WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE IN VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=thJA5uIgxug

This lady speaks to her kids in an absolutely inappropriate way IMO. However, most people find the video funny and absolutely okay. In videos where Americans speak to their children like this, there are usually tons of negative comments about bad parenting etc.

Is it just a cultural normality to speak to your kids like this where she is from? They say her accent is Scottish so I'm just wondering. I personally think she's a tad out of line, but what do I know?

To parents: Would/did you speak to your kids like this?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
This lady speaks to her kids in an absolutely inappropriate way IMO.
Yes Scottish, and probably from the slums of Glasgow, terrrible. This is how the lower classes speak and behave in big cities. It's frightening to think that these kids will behave in this way when they are adults.

But it's pointless trying to educate such people because if you hear such language in public and you say something the foul mouthed invective turns on you.

But please don't think that all Scottish people are like this. Only yesterday I placed an order with a small company in Scotland and the person I spoke to was the complete opposite, obviously educated, polite, and helpful, reminds me of the last time I spoke to someone in a magazine publisher in America (Fine Woodworking)
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Thank you for the insight. I did not think ALL Scottish people were like this, I just thought maybe it was more acceptable to speak like this over there. Mostly lower class here speak to their kids like this too, it does seem to link to income somewhat. I just found it interesting that most people who saw the video didn't find it inappropriate, but funny instead. It wasn't funny to me. She could have been nice about telling the girls to flush...
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2015, 12:27 AM
Myra - I agree wholeheartedly with you that this video is not at all funny. It is exactly as Losos says (unfortunately) there are large areas in most of the UK's inner cities where this sort of thing is not only common but found amusing by many. Please don't judge us all by this revolting little video, there are so many kind and decent people on our little cluster of islands and to a one they would all find this sort of parenting abhorrent.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2015, 12:53 AM
And again thank you. Gordon, I don't see what is funny about this. The girl's reactions after she left showed that they are used to being talked to like that. It was quite mean and IMO not the way to teach them to flush the toilet. The lady was too angry.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2015, 07:46 AM
If the woman had had a london accent I might have thought she was my ex-sister in law..

The woman couldnt utter three words without one of them being a swear word.
She was shocked when her 3 yr old (my nephew) swore at an old lady who was smiling at him and called her a F***** C***.
Well children repeat what they hear..

Honestly some of the people who are allowed to breed is shocking. We moan about dogs but people are far worse.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2015, 11:55 AM
True stuff about the kids swearing if their parents swear. Very annoying to hear young children swear.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
True stuff about the kids swearing if their parents swear. Very annoying to hear young children swear.
Actually it's not.
I swear and have been known to do it in my children's presence when they were young. I have never sworn at my children and the tone that woman uses to her kids speaks volumes. Jeez kids sometimes forget to flush how hard is it to do it for them and give a pleasant reminder to flush next time. As for the S word I would never use it in that context I would say Poo. My kids never swore when they were young because they were taught it was wrong to swear and mummy was naughty but hitting your thumb with a hammer requires the odd expletive. My kids were no angels but they were a reflection of their upbringing and kids that are spoken to the way that mother speaks to them probably will grow up coarse because I doubt it's just the language that is rough in that household.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Fair point trouble. Of course not ALL kids copy the swearing they hear. I swear but I'd never do it in front of kids. I use the S word in that context, but again would never do it in public or in front of kids. The woman did over react to the kids not flushing, she was WAY too upset. I can't even say these kids swear, but if they did I'd not be surprised.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2015, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised either Myra.
Some of the language heard in school playgrounds today from the mouths of 5 year olds is worse than you'd hear on a building site tbh but I'm not convinced those that swear like troopers as 5 year old have all learnt it from their parents. I think many parents would be shocked to hear how their little darlings refer to each other. I was once called a C**t by 5 year old for sitting on a bench in the playground at lunchtime after bringing my son back early from a dental appointment. You couldn't leave them unattended before they went in the building for the start of the afternoon session. Boy did that little sh!t get a lecture from me without the use of a single swear word lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >