Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 03:11 PM

Lump after vaccination booster

I took Poppy to the vets on Tuesday morning for her annual booster. On Wednesday night we noticed a small lump, about the diameter of a five pence piece, roughly where the vet injected her, by Saturday morning it was more like the diameter of an egg cup. It's not bothering her, even if you squeeze it or push on it, she doesn't batter an eye lid. She's playful, eating and drinking well.

This morning it had gone down and is nowhere near as big as it was on Friday night and Saturday morning. Could it have been an reaction to her injection? I remember when I was younger and had a tetanus booster my arm swelled up like a golf ball, so wondered if Poppy was the same.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I really don't know, but it could be I suppose. Maybe if the vet was a bit heavy handed he might have caused some bruising or trauma at the site of the jab? I'm glad it's going down and she seems fine in herself, so hopefully it will just go. I'm sure it's a bit of bruising and some fluid must have built up as protection that's all.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
My Inca was the same, she had her booster in March, 2 days later she had an egg size lump on the back of her neck where she had been vaccinated. It went down within a couple of days and didn't seem to bother her at all....I think I was more concerned about it than she was.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't know what could have caused it, maybe a bit of reaction as you say.
When I was nursing I gave literally hundreds of Tetanus injections, never had a problem. Then one day I had to give one to my hubby. Well his arm, like yours, swelled up like a balloon. He would never let me near him after that
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a common injection site reaction. They often take a few weeks to dissappear, but never cause any harm. Id leave it and see how it goes, unless of course it changes or bothers the dog in any way.
Dawn.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I don't know what could have caused it, maybe a bit of reaction as you say.
When I was nursing I gave literally hundreds of Tetanus injections, never had a problem. Then one day I had to give one to my hubby. Well his arm, like yours, swelled up like a balloon. He would never let me near him after that
I remember a flu jab I once had, my arm swelled up and I could hardly move it for a week! She was a great big bruiser of a nurse (not saying you are Jen!!!!)so I'm guessing that's what the problem is, it wasn't administered gently enough.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. You've all put my mind at rest. I'll keep an eye on over the next few days and if it's not gone by the end of the week or if she seems bothered, I'll take her back. I just don't remember her having any problems last year, but do seem to remember something the year before when she had her initial jabs.

I feel better knowing it has gone down a bit today. I did think the vet injected quite low down, it was lower down than where we put her frontline, so maybe the skin was just a bit more sensitive there.

Thanks again for the replies.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
didn't seem to bother her at all....I think I was more concerned about it than she was.
I know what you mean, me and mum were worried sick once we realised it was getting bigger. I was going to take her this morning to the vets, but Sunday's is £30 consultation fee, so was glad to feel it had got smaller.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 04:09 PM
As others have said sounds like a common injection site reaction - keep an eye on it and if it starts to bother her or begins to increase in size etc then it is probably worth a look but for now I'd say nothing to worry about
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Spence is dreadful once rushed him to the vets to be told its an haemotoma panicked more till he said it's common its like we get a bruise when we give blood , in about a week he was back to normal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >