View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2010, 11:09 AM
this is unbelievably helpful!!! thank you so much, just being able to get some practical advice especially on storage, which i must confess i had been struggling with.
again many thanks!!!
mikibb66
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Thank you that information is great and just what I will need in the near future.

At the moment I only have a drawner in my own freezer so feed Pre-packed raw mince plus veg etc, but hopefully moving soon and will have room for a freezer just for Benson's food.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 01:41 PM
This is a fantastic guide and I'm considering moving Dougal onto this as it will be healthier for him than the biscuits I guess.

I do have a question though, you state that you feed chicken carcasses, I have always been told not to give dogs bird carcasses cause of the small bones. Can you tell me if this is correct or does the fact that you are using the main bit of the carcass make any difference?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Great post. I used to do veggies like that but the dogs I have now won't touch veg, so they get meat, bones and some dorwest easy green. It's a great way to feed and doesn't take very long. I used to love making dog food for Loki. Sadly the gang I have now don't appreciate it!
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2010, 02:02 PM
regarding small bones, it depends what size your dog is, we give our little pap chicken wings but our mastiff gets carcasses purely cos she is a big girl.
i wouldnt give our mastiff a wing due to the fact she would probably try and swallow it whole!!!
but the big thing is never to give cooked bones because they are brittle and break into shards, but raw chicken bones are soft due to how young chickens tend to be killed, so perfect for a good chew!!
hope that helps??
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
This is a fantastic guide and I'm considering moving Dougal onto this as it will be healthier for him than the biscuits I guess.

I do have a question though, you state that you feed chicken carcasses, I have always been told not to give dogs bird carcasses cause of the small bones. Can you tell me if this is correct or does the fact that you are using the main bit of the carcass make any difference?
Chicken bones are not a problem at all, as long as your dog chews them.

Just a quick warning for anyone who does want to change over, the best bones/meat by far to swap onto are chicken/turkey, they contain a much better balance of vitamins and minerals, and are not as rich as lamb, pork or beef, so less likely to cause a stomach upset.

The best way by far to give your dog the first few bones, is to bash up with a rolling pin so they can't swallow large pieces whole, and try and hold on to one end of the piece you're feeding, chicken wings are good for this type of introduction. This teaches your dog to chew, rather than just gulp the bones down. You will be surprised how quickly they get the idea, but caution is better than letting them swallow a large bone accidentally. Do this a few times a week to begin with, see how they go, and once they're used to the bones I have found it is easy enough to swap them straight over.

Try and keep to feeding the softer, more manageable bones, so chicken, turkey and lamb, as the large weight bearing bones like beef marrow/knuckle bones, can be prone to splintering and causing a problem. For this reason, never leave a dog unsupervised with these large bones, mine get them as a very occasional treat, they are taken off them after half an hour and popped back in the freezer. These larger bones from older animals are also more dense, and more wearing on the teeth, lamb ribs and chicken carcasses/wings still have the cleaning effect on teeth, help keep anal glands clear, and don't have as hard wearing effect.

That's how I've swapped oldies on to barf who were turning their nose up at other foods, they both did very well on raw, and quickly gained condition, quite surprising giving their age and the poor condition they were in when I got them.

Other barfers may disagree about the beef bones, and may also give pork bones - one of the reasons I don't give pork is that unless it's labelled as from the UK, it may be from a source where tapeworm can still be present, our farming practices mean this isn't the case, so if you're buying from a butchers, ask where it's from.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Great thread - thanks!

I've stickied it for now - until we get a thread up that contains links to all the major/useful info up
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Whoa !! That is amazing! Thank you so much for this! I cant wait to start doing this!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I've just read and re-read this, it's so helpful, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this
MollyMutt
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I am looking to move my mutt over onto raw and this is probably one of the best posts I have seen on the subject as it is descriptive and easy to understand.

Thank you.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »