Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Sudden aggression, food guarding?

Hi everyone.

Just had a bit of a shock with Ruby!! I gave her a pigs ear, she has had these before but not very often, i was in the kitchen and i heard her growl, then bark. I could tell straight away that this was a different noise to play growling so stuck my head round the door immediatley.

My son was sitting on the setee playing on his ds and she was sitting st the other end of the setee with the pigs ear, my son informs me that he went to stroke her and she got angry. I then went up to her and as i got nearer she started to snarl and growl then barked at me!! I have never had any problems with her and food aggression or guarding so i was really suprised. I have a relative working on my bathroom at the min, he came down and grabbed the pigs ear of her and said she needs to know whos boss not sure at all if this was the right approach. He then gave it back to her in her basket. I tried to get near her again and she still growled, i then went and got some choc drops and gave her one as a swap for the pigs ear an this worked, but she didnt want to swap a second time but would then let me stroke her.

Anyway i left her in peace to finish it and told my son not to go anywhere near her while she had it. Once she had finishe it she went straight back toher normal self as if nothing had happend!!

Sorry for the long post whenever i write on the forum it always seems to go on forvever. Just wanted to check the best way to deal with this, im thinking no more pigs ears??She has rawhides and ive never had this problem. How should i train her that it is unacceptable to guard food, and show her that her food is 'safe'

ps - she has never been a problem with her dinner although nobody really has a need to go near her when she is eating it.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by rubythebeagle View Post
Hi everyone.

Just had a bit of a shock with Ruby!! I gave her a pigs ear, she has had these before but not very often, i was in the kitchen and i heard her growl, then bark. I could tell straight away that this was a different noise to play growling so stuck my head round the door immediatley.

My son was sitting on the setee playing on his ds and she was sitting st the other end of the setee with the pigs ear, my son informs me that he went to stroke her and she got angry. I then went up to her and as i got nearer she started to snarl and growl then barked at me!! I have never had any problems with her and food aggression or guarding so i was really suprised. I have a relative working on my bathroom at the min, he came down and grabbed the pigs ear of her and said she needs to know whos boss not sure at all if this was the right approach. He then gave it back to her in her basket. I tried to get near her again and she still growled, i then went and got some choc drops and gave her one as a swap for the pigs ear an this worked, but she didnt want to swap a second time but would then let me stroke her.

Anyway i left her in peace to finish it and told my son not to go anywhere near her while she had it. Once she had finishe it she went straight back toher normal self as if nothing had happend!!

Sorry for the long post whenever i write on the forum it always seems to go on forvever. Just wanted to check the best way to deal with this, im thinking no more pigs ears??She has rawhides and ive never had this problem. How should i train her that it is unacceptable to guard food, and show her that her food is 'safe'

ps - she has never been a problem with her dinner although nobody really has a need to go near her when she is eating it.

I wonder how your relative would like it if you gave him his favouritre treat & then grabbed it back from him ?? I bet a £1 to a 1p that he would object very loudly.

To train your dog to learn you are no treat to food or treats, start by sitting in a chair & with her dish on the floor slowly drop her food into it, she will then learn that you are a provider & not a remover. A similar way with bones & chews-you hold one end whilst he chews on the other & talk very quietly to him in a reassuring way(good boy, is that nice etc)

Once you have given him a chewable treat do not take it back & at the moment get the whole family not to touch him whilst he has one.

I can never understand why people want to take treats & food they have given a pet off them-this action actually encourages resource guarding not stop it. Resource guarding is a very natural behaviour in a dog-something those whop believe in domination theories ignore !
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:35 PM
the man working in your house has the right idea. when going for the treat you have to just take it if you hesitate in any way then she is the boss. you say it is only with pigs ears but if you dont put your foot down and just take it then she will start to do it with other stuff to. i know it may not seem nice but it is better in the long run
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:56 PM
How confusing, two completely opposing view points

I would pay attention to the first only.

To dogs possession is law, if your dog has it it is his, in the doggie world forcibly stealing something is definitely bad manners. Taking things will only increase your dogs worry that normal dog law does not apply, and may cause him to become more aggressive and even bite.

She needs to be able to relax around her food/treats, As Jodee says you have to be seen as a provider not a taker.

With my own dog, I regularly will go up to her bowl whilst she is eating, call her name and add something more delicious or special. Normally she will way her tail, as she knows the routine. I also make a point of swapping treats with her, and then giving back the original treat too, I have always done this since she was a little pup.

As your dog has already started to guard (obviously the pigs ear has very high value to her). I would start off with lower value treats, swap for higher value ones.

I am sure with some practice she will be more relaxed, and not worry that her prize is going to be snatched from her

Good luck
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I can never understand why people want to take treats & food they have given a pet off them-this action actually encourages resource guarding not stop it. Resource guarding is a very natural behaviour in a dog-something those who believe in domination theories ignore !
Totally agree. You toucha my dinner, I bita you hand.
My dogs have no problem with me approaching them while they eat because I add to their food. I eat at the same time and tend to pop little bits of leftovers in their dishes. Most welcome.
However, I`m not sure it`s wise to have a child sitting right by a dog with a pigs ear tbh. I always told my kids to leave the dogs alone when they were eating.
Well, when they were old enough that is...
this is my first dog doing a bit of child minding while having supper.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by kellymcg View Post
the man working in your house has the right idea. when going for the treat you have to just take it if you hesitate in any way then she is the boss. you say it is only with pigs ears but if you dont put your foot down and just take it then she will start to do it with other stuff to. i know it may not seem nice but it is better in the long run
For someone who has owned 3 dogs over 8 years you appear to be a"dog domination"theorist.

Sorry but I have been dealing with the victims of trainers & owners who believe in humans dominating their dogs for nearly 40 years. The breeds have included Great Danes & Newfoundlands & believe me resource guarding in giant breeds is just serious it can be & is human life threatening.

Dogs have no desire to"dominate", be the"Boss" etc of humans, they are aware that they are one species & we are another, they need to see humans as the source of reward not fear & aggravation.

The very first dog I retrained for someone else had been"dominated"by another trainer & was on the point of becoming a fear biter-she ended up over a year later as being a well adjusted GSD A year of her life wasted thanks to being"bossed"by a dog breaker !
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 05:18 PM
My opinion

She felt upset by the approach of the child.
she is allowed to growl to show dissaproval,
if she has posscession of a item , please let her keep it.

Next time she has something nice, leave her well alone to enjoy her treat!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I have a relative working on my bathroom at the min, he came down and grabbed the pigs ear of her and said she needs to know whos boss not sure at all if this was the right approach. He then gave it back to her in her basket.
Oh dear, will people ever get out of this out dated notion of 'showing a dog who is boss'.

Believe me if you gave me a cream cake then tried to remove it I would probably bite you

By just removing things from a dog you are reinforcing that fact that they have a good reason to guard things because humans can't be trusted not to steal prized possessions. If you give your dog something to eat leave it in peace to eat it, if for any reason you must remove a 'prized possession' from a dog do this by swapping it from something of equal value to the dog.
kellymcg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
For someone who has owned 3 dogs over 8 years you appear to be a"dog domination"theorist.

Sorry but I have been dealing with the victims of trainers & owners who believe in humans dominating their dogs for nearly 40 years. The breeds have included Great Danes & Newfoundlands & believe me resource guarding in giant breeds is just serious it can be & is human life threatening.

Dogs have no desire to"dominate", be the"Boss" etc of humans, they are aware that they are one species & we are another, they need to see humans as the source of reward not fear & aggravation.

The very first dog I retrained for someone else had been"dominated"by another trainer & was on the point of becoming a fear biter-she ended up over a year later as being a well adjusted GSD A year of her life wasted thanks to being"bossed"by a dog breaker !
are you saying that my dogs are victims because i will take a treat from them if they were to growl? my 2 dogs are very confident dogs it is very rarely i even have to raise my voice. i have 4 kids under the age of 7 and i am happy to know that my kids can touch the dogs treat without being growled at or worst bitten
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by kellymcg View Post
are you saying that my dogs are victims because i will take a treat from them if they were to growl? my 2 dogs are very confident dogs it is very rarely i even have to raise my voice. i have 4 kids under the age of 7 and i am happy to know that my kids can touch the dogs treat without being growled at or worst bitten
No, joedee`s saying that you are giving quite dangerous advice, and I concur. You don`t know the OP`s dogs or situation and the advice you have given will make a bad situation worse.
IMO anyway.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >