Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:02 PM

The Diet Pill

I was wondering what peoples views and experiences are.

It has been widely advertised that this new pill is available over the counter, it would appear that it is at the pharmacists discretion as so who can have it and I had heard it was very expensive. I had also heard that the side effects can be pretty grim...but having a weight problem I wanted to find out more.

I was back at the doctors today...I have an ENT hospital appointment next month with regards to the terrible noise coming from my throat when I sleep, other than that I have been given a clean bill of health.

My recent blood tests show that I am nowhere near my menopause although I have low progesterone levels..I had to come off my hormone tablets due to bloating and now the doc thinks that the weight gain I am experiencing is due to me being pre-menopausal and this can, apparently last for several years with my body being all over the place (literally ) whilst it tries to sort itself out.

He has suggested that I start on these diet tablets, (I can't remember the name but it might be orlastat or similar ) next week following another full health check..weight, blood pressure etc to try to give my body a kick start. I'm up for it, despite the possible side effects as I'm miserable with carrying this excess weight. I'm well built so know that I will never be a ballerina but when I have been good with what I'm eating yet still putting on weight I find it quite depressing.

I'm happy to keep a diary and let others who may be thinking of trying them know what they are like.

I would just say that the doctor told me that he has given these pills the thumbs up but really doesn't think they should be available over the counter but only available on prescription after the patient has been checked over by a doctor. I will be going back for checks once a month and he strongly advised that anyone taking this kind of thing should have their weight and health monitored on a regular basis.

So, back to the opening sentence...do we have any views or experiences?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:11 PM
You know I was on Rimonabant which was banned (though I still have some in the upboard) although I never felt it actually helped me lose weight as was just as good when on it or not.

Orlistat or Alli as it's OTC name is was offered to me too. But that is the one that if you eat fatty food you will get diarhoea You have to reduce your fat down to 15mg a day, which is low anyway, as it stops your body digesting it so it passes out the body.
So IMO it's probably the low fat diet that will make you lose weight anyway.
I'd save my money as like all chemical diet solutions it's not cheap.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Orlistat or Alli as it's OTC name is was offered to me too. But that is the one that if you eat fatty food you will get diarhoea You have to reduce your fat down to 15mg a day, which is low anyway, as it stops your body digesting it so it passes out the body.
I agree. My OH was on Orlistat (under Dr's orders). The side effects are pretty disgusting. Forgive my frankness.

If you eat fatty food, you will have bright orange, oily diarrhoea. Occasionally (and this happened a few times) you don't even realise that you need to go to the toilet. It literally leaks from your bottom into your clothes, and it's just bright orange oil. Gross, it stains, and it's pretty embarrassing as well. Once it's in the toilet, the oil often sticks around for a couple of flushes, and can discolour your toilet bowl (if it's white). Apparantly, baby wipes are required to clean yourself up, as normal toilet paper just won't do.

The diarrhoea can sometimes come on pretty quickly (imagine being in a restaurant and having to RUN to the loo because you're leaking orange oil and know that you're going to have explosive diarrhoea) but sometimes can be hours after eating (long car journey anyone??).

The less fat you eat, the less oily stuff and diarrhoea you get. But since you're eating a healthier diet anyway, you lose weight!

He wasn't losing that much weight compared to some on a diet without pills. The first week or so he lost about 4 or 5 pounds, but he quickly realised that the only way to not have the diarrhoea was to eat a low fat diet. He then lost about 1-2 pounds a week, which is consistent with what you should lose on a 'normal' diet, and is a healthy weight loss.

After paying £7+ for a months worth of tablets for a few months running, and not losing more than I was on a 'normal' low fat diet, plus being sick of the side effects, OH stopped the tablets.

He said that sitting in work praying you don't need the toilet was enough for him. He never felt 'safe' if he wasn't near a toilet (e.g. car journeys, trips away etc).

Once he came off the tablets, he carried on eating a low fat diet, and we've both managed to lose about 1.5 stone up to now.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:30 PM
You know I was on Rimonabant which was banned (though I still have some in the upboard) although I never felt it actually helped me lose weight as was just as good when on it or not.

I couldn't remember what your tablets were called either ..I can't remember anything since I've been off the hormone tablets I did know that these tablets can cause diarrhoea but thought that was only if you didn't stick to the diet too..I suppose its a bit like something making you sick if you shouldn't be drinking with it.

The trouble is Becky, my body has been all over the place during the last year and I'm desperately unhappy with my weight..I feel that I've been given a chance to do something about it and that I should take that chance. I may well regret it after a few days but I'll only be paying the prescription charge rather than the couple of hundred pounds they are being advertised for.

Also, if I'm being properly monitored by the diet nurse and the doctor should I be in a better position to try it than someone that could be overweight for a health reason but doesn't get checked and just buys it over the counter?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I agree. My OH was on Orlistat (under Dr's orders). The side effects are pretty disgusting. Forgive my frankness.

If you eat fatty food, you will have bright orange, oily diarrhoea. Occasionally (and this happened a few times) you don't even realise that you need to go to the toilet. It literally leaks from your bottom into your clothes, and it's just bright orange oil. Gross, it stains, and it's pretty embarrassing as well. Once it's in the toilet, the oil often sticks around for a couple of flushes, and can discolour your toilet bowl (if it's white). Apparantly, baby wipes are required to clean yourself up, as normal toilet paper just won't do.

The diarrhoea can sometimes come on pretty quickly (imagine being in a restaurant and having to RUN to the loo because you're leaking orange oil and know that you're going to have explosive diarrhoea) but sometimes can be hours after eating (long car journey anyone??).

The less fat you eat, the less oily stuff and diarrhoea you get. But since you're eating a healthier diet anyway, you lose weight!

He wasn't losing that much weight compared to some on a diet without pills. The first week or so he lost about 4 or 5 pounds, but he quickly realised that the only way to not have the diarrhoea was to eat a low fat diet. He then lost about 1-2 pounds a week, which is consistent with what you should lose on a 'normal' diet, and is a healthy weight loss.

After paying £7+ for a months worth of tablets for a few months running, and not losing more than I was on a 'normal' low fat diet, plus being sick of the side effects, OH stopped the tablets.

He said that sitting in work praying you don't need the toilet was enough for him. He never felt 'safe' if he wasn't near a toilet (e.g. car journeys, trips away etc).

Once he came off the tablets, he carried on eating a low fat diet, and we've both managed to lose about 1.5 stone up to now.
Ewwww, thats made me feel a bit squeamish..but thanks for being so frank about it..I needed to hear the bad points and if it isn't doing any more than a normal diet than I don't see the point in taking it.

ETA forgot to say..well done on doing so well on your diets
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

That's exactly what I had heard about them.... from my GP too, when he gave me the choice of which one to have. He said they work, but you can't eat any fat and you must like staying near a toilet lol.
I'd rather be overweight and out enjoying myself that skinny and inside feeling awful and possibly incontinent.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:36 PM
That's exactly what I had heard about them.... from my GP too, when he gave me the choice of which one to have. He said they work, but you can't eat any fat and you must like staying near a toilet lol.
I'd rather be overweight and out enjoying myself that skinny and inside feeling awful and possibly incontinent.
Yes..Shelleys post has made me have a rethink.

The problem with me is I hate being fat..I hate myself at the moment and I can't seem to lose the weight even just eating fruit and vegetables. We've not been out for an indian or had a pizza for ages...we went out for Daniels birthday last week but that was the first and last time for the moment, until I can shift some weight.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:36 PM
OH was so miserable on them. We couldn't go anywhere/do anything without meticulous planning. Even going to a friends house was a nightmare - what would they cook? How do you explain having to rush off to the toilet, and spending 20 minutes in there?

It got to the point where he was more depressed about the tablets than his weight!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Yes..Shelleys post has made me have a rethink.

The problem with me is I hate being fat..I hate myself at the moment and I can't seem to lose the weight even just eating fruit and vegetables. We've not been out for an indian or had a pizza for ages...we went out for Daniels birthday last week but that was the first and last time for the moment, until I can shift some weight.
I hate being fat too!!

We don't eat out a lot, mainly due to financial reasons, but we don't eat 'rabbit food' all the time!

I've really expanded my cooking range since being on a diet!

We make homemade pizza, homemade curries etc, so still have a 'takeaway' on a Friday night.

My speciality is Tandoori Chicken, and I love making chicken and pesto pizza - yum!!

I plan meals 2 weeks at a time, including lunches for work, buy everything in then there is no temptation!

This week, I've been having salads, which are:
Cos lettuce, cucumber, fresh mint leaves, red onion, sunblush tomatoes, cherry tomatoes with Apetina cheese and a garlic and herb dressing.

Next week I've got some soups to try out (chicken and pastina broth, spring cabbage and feta soup)

Just cos your on a diet doesn't mean you can't eat nice food!!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I had Orlistat and stopped taking them myself.....They're awful tablets.....You can't have any fat atall, otherwise you'll know about it!

I have seen some new pills advertised at Lloyds chemist, they have Orlistat in them, and they are called alli.....Not sure how good they are, but for a months supply you're talking £50.

Good Luck x
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »