Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Wild Rabbit

Harry has been coming back with quite a few rabbits lately, usually we bring them home and let the dogs eat them straight away, or they eat them when he has caught them.
If I were to bring some home and put them in the freezer (for the dogs not me), would I need to gut them first?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Most people do - though it can be easier to gut them frozen (I get frozen rabbits from my supplier and semi-defrosted you can just pop the guts out really - the one time he delivered them fresh I decided to do it there and then and it was gross as everything flopped out everywhere!). Remember if he's eating them fresh, keep up on your worming regime - otherwise freeze for several weeks (I do a minimum of 3, usually more) to ensure parasites are killed.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Sometimes I get mine fresh, sometimes I get given them already frozen. I always gut the fresh ones, i've tried gutting them frozen and I made a right mess of it, it was much easier to open the rabbit up and have the fresh guts tumble out!

Rabbits carry tapeworm so I do prefer to gut them if I can but if not, I make sure they've been frozen for several weeks and then feed them whole. After all, a wild dog would eat the stomach and guts first, it's very good food.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 02:49 PM
If my dogs catch rabbits there is no time to gut them..............

My "lamper" gets me rabbits and guts them for me.