Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Am thinking of paying someone to train my dog

I am thinking of hiring a dog trainer to train Sam. What he does is take him out in your local environment every day for 30mins mon-fri for approx 5 weeks and the last week he takes me out and makes sure I am trained to get Sam to obey. He also goes into any specific problems you might have and advises you accordingly. I have been trying to train Sam for a while now by myself and although I have made some headway he is still not 100% on things like recall or stay. Basically he comes if he wants to. We get by, but he has some serious problems with going for other dogs and I don't think it is due to lack of socialization as he was running about with all kinds of dogs from puppyhood. I think he thinks he's the boss.

Any opinions on this guy would be appreciated. His website is www.k9edinburgh.co.uk
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Not familiar with the guy but one thing which jumped out at me is that the dogs photographed in the obedience area are wearing chokers......thats a big red warning flag in my opinion.....

I will tell you of an experience of mine and will leave you to judge it for yourself.

Many many years ago I trained someones dog for them [ a Bull Terrier ]. She was terrific by the time we were done.

Slight problem though - she would do everything I asked but nothing her actual owner asked....

The reason being, she and I learned to trust and respect each other but the owner had played no part in the training, and the bonding which goes with training together, so the dog just flipped her the paw most of the time.

I realised then that I should never train a dog for someone else but should train the owner and teach them how to work with their dog.

Just something for you to consider
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Reading your post, I sense that you might expect more from five weeks training than is practical. I sincerely doubt that you are going to have a fully reliable recall after that time.

Though a lot can be achieved in five weeks, I just hope you're not expecting a miracle turn-around. Though please, don't let a collar in a photo put you off. Mine wears a hunking great "choker" too as it's the strongest and most reliable collar for my requirements.

I would ask if it's possible to speak to verifiable past clients. If that couldn't be arranged, I would walk away I think.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I have always been taught that dog training is 75% training the owner or handler.

I have a dog walker a couple of evenings a week and my lot do things for her that they dont with me . I am sure it is all down to the handling.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 09:59 PM
it seems a shame that you feel like you need someone else to train your dog could you not find a good trainer that could help you in training your dog, i dont think i would be happy letting my dog go off for training with some every day and not see what they are doing. i m sorry if you feel i am not helping but as the dog needs to listen to you every day of its life it wold be best for you to train. sorry
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 10:30 PM
I would only ever want to train my own dog - sometimes it's hard work but there is so much enjoyment to be had when something goes well ... it's like a journey you can take together

I don't much like the look of this guy - reason being that most of the dogs in his videos look less than thrilled to be with him. He also has said something weird on his site about hitting a dog with a newspaper if it messes - it may be he's using it as an example of how dogs learn but if so its a pretty weird thing to put on his site without full explanation and leaving it so ambiguous

If you have training problems, how about getting a one to one trainer to come out with you? Try www.apdt.co.uk and see if there is one in your area :smt001

Good luck!

Wys
x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Well spotted Wys!

Be careful - is my advice.

Firstly I would be extremely unhappy to sit back and let someone else take my dog away for 'training'.

But worryingly this guy said he advocated swatting his dog with a rolled up newspaper and commanding, "no!" if the dog urinated in the home.

Talk about a draconian training method.

Simply spending some time taking a puppy out at regular, say 30 - min intervals (and after meals, play, sleep etc.) to a designated spot in the garden, giving a repeated command (eg "be clean") and rewarding when the pup does something; saying, "no" and quickly taking the pup to the toilet place if it is about to do something in the house brings about excellent house training - in my experience. It's what I did and my dog was house trained very quickly.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-06-2007, 07:27 AM
I would be cautious if he does swat dogs for messing in the house.
I would also say when I took Ollie for a one to one the Trainer pointed out it is no good the Trainer doing the work the idea is they train you how to get the best from your dog they might do everything for the Trainer but when you are left to it you will still have problems.I know you say he will take you out on the last week but I wouldn't think that is enough.
It is very frustrating Ollie has terrible recall so goes out on a long line is let off when other dogs we know come along and has a play but I have to stay vigilant incase a dog comes along we don't know and then put him on his long line again.He is still only young and hopefully with time and training he will get better.I wouldn't be tempted to leave him to someone else to try to solve the problem because I wouldn't be there to see what methods he used.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 08:46 AM
elmac,

First, I'm not sure I'd want someone training my dog without my supervision anyway. You're not there to know that everything's ok.

I read a little of his website and the first thing I saw was this:

To establish communication with the dog through verbal and body language is of primary importance . For example when a dog urinates inside the house or in any other inappropriate place the command "NO!" accompanied by a swat with a rolled up newspaper imprints on the dog a conditioned reflex associating the word "NO!" with a disagreeable consequence.Later the dog will scratch the outside door to alert the owner that he needs to go outside to the appropriate area to urinate
Do you really want this guy training Sam??

Just to add (I clicked the post button too early )
It's all very well a trainer training your dog - but go to any good training class and the trainer will rarely intervene between owner and dog because it's all about the dog working for the owner, not the trainer.
Most trainers know what tiny signals to send out to the dog so will be able to get the dog to do what they want quicker than the owner can - it gives a false impression to the owner that the dog is 'cured' when in fact, it still won't perform for it's owner because they don't react in exactly the same ways as a trainer would.

I guess I'm trying to say, a trainer can tell you and show you what to do but you need to do it so that Sam can respond to you.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I just have a question... don't think I'm being rude, but is this even legal/safe?!!!
http://www.k9edinburgh.co.uk/protection.html

If the police are now training their dogs to headbutt people rather than bite them - how much trouble could a dog owner get into for teaching their dog to 'disable intruders'??
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >