Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Sudden aggression towards children

Rupert had a go at some children today. This is the first time he has ever shown any aggression towards a human of any age. The kids in question were nowhere near him, not bothering him, not even looking at him. I've got no idea what it was that set him off, one minute he's sniffing around on his long line, the next he's lunging and barking and snarling at them. And I mean really going for it. I didn't tell him off or anything, just brought him back in, but I don't know what to do now. His aggression towards other animals is one thing, if he's going to start it with children then I'm afraid it's not something I'm prepared to live with. Not with just how serious he is when he attacks. Obviously I'm not going to make any decisions on one incident, especially not one so out of the blue and out of character. He's literally just had a full check up by the vet, everything has come back normal. I'm just feeling so upset, lost and confused right now. His reaction to these kids scared me to death, it's exactly the reaction he gives when another dog gets in his face.

I don't know what I'm asking here to be honest. I just...I dunno. This has just shocked me so much.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Don't know what to say really, but just wanted to give you a cyber hug and hope it was just a one off and he was having a bad day.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I was going to ask if there was anything about these children that could've un-nerved him. As dogs do sense more than us..

Hopefully it was just a bad day and he'll be himself tomorrow
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Thank you, I'm hoping so too. He's always been wonderful with people so this is completely and utterly out of character for him.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 01:35 PM
As sorry to hear this hope it's a one off..

Perhaps the children were just behaving in a way that took him by surprise or had some kind of toy/object that scared him and he just reacted in the way he is used to reacting?

Must be very scary for you, hope it was a one off and you can get your confidence back in him.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I think I'd muzzle him if you don't already.

It may be a one off but the trouble with kids is that they are unknowns and they could rush over to him so I'd want to b sure that he was totally unable to bite in any situation.

Other than that I can't help I am afraid. Just to hope that it won't happen again.

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 02:11 PM
He's already muzzled Rune, he's dog aggressive and when he bites them it's not just a nip, it's a full on attack and he'll cause serious harm. Obviously a muzzle isn't going to stop him hurting a child but at least he can't bite.

Hubby and I have agreed we'll see how he goes. Obviously being careful not to put him in situations where anyone gets hurt. Hopefully it's just one of those things and doesn't happen again. He's been fully vet checked very recently, all bloodwork came back normal.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2011, 02:16 PM
There are certain "types" of children Pereg does not like, either singly or in a group. It might be something in the way they might look, dress, act - maybe going past swinging a schoolbag - or something that just did not seem right to her at that time..

Perhaps there was just that "something" about those children that Rupert did not like for some reason?

Hopefully it was just a one off happening and will never occur again.

xHugsx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Hiya, I would do just as you are doing, you never know it might be one of those "out of the blue" things where he COULD have possibly been in pain, been stung etc and associated it with the kids etc.

I am sure you will do what is necessary.

Aggression is one thing, but unpredictable aggression is something else, especially when it is directed at people.

Fingers crossed
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 04:30 PM
No extra advice, but just sending lots of support and hope that this was a one off event . I suppose his eyesight is oK?

Wys
x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >