View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2012, 06:30 AM

How Long Does It Take For Hormones To Go After Castration?

Our friend had her 6 year old dog castrated in early June but he is still showing signs of small erections and he still has the hormone smell when he gets excited by something...when I say excited I mean going to the park etc.
She's been told by one vet that it can take six weeks and another has said eight months to fully get the hormones out of his system...very different opinions so how long does it take for a dogs hormones to go after Castration.
Thanks
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2012, 07:07 AM
I normally tell people about 3mths and there is usually an increase in the hormones before the disappear
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by lisa0307 View Post
Our friend had her 6 year old dog castrated in early June but he is still showing signs of small erections and he still has the hormone smell when he gets excited by something...when I say excited I mean going to the park etc.
She's been told by one vet that it can take six weeks and another has said eight months to fully get the hormones out of his system...very different opinions so how long does it take for a dogs hormones to go after Castration.
Thanks

Testosterone (and other related hormones) are not produced JUST by the testicles.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 07:50 AM
At that age some dogs never seem to stop any behavious and I knew one who had been used as a stud and my friend adopted and his behaviour changed in a week----if I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it!

I would imagine your friends dog may gradually stop but don't hold your breath!

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Usually we have found around 3/4 months . What was the reason to neuter a 6 yr old
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Dogs that are castrated can do everything those that are not, except for produce the puppies!
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Usually we have found around 3/4 months . What was the reason to neuter a 6 yr old

He was having sudden extreme erections and passing blood every time it was happening...got to the stage where the poor dog looked like he'd had enough...it was even happening when he was asleep and it would wake him up with such shock that enough was enough.
Thanks for your replies everyone...much appreciated. x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks
When you have dogs castrated "late" in life, it is not unusual for them to continue having interest still in bitches in season.

As for erections, all male dogs have these where the penis itself extends out of the sheath and can happen when the dog is hot, or just excited in a non-sexual sense!

It the same with horses - I had a gelding who had been cut very late, and he was the devil incarnate when the mares were in season, even though the livery yard separated the geldings from the mares with electric fencing. It didn't stop my boy - he would blast through the pain of the electric fence to get to his girls!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 03:21 PM
He was having sudden extreme erections and passing blood every time it was happening...got to the stage where the poor dog looked like he'd had enough...it was even happening when he was asleep and it would wake him up with such shock that enough was enough.
Thanks for your replies everyone...much appreciated. x

Ah, I hadn't read this post before I posted!! Definitely real erections then - poor chap. I like to keep my boys entire I have to say, but in such circumstances I would definitely have done the same thing!
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Had mine done at 18 months old as I had 3 intact bitches... he never lost the urge, bless him...