Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Muzzles ( need help deciding which one)

hi guys i am looking for a basket type muzzle for my mums dog emmy for when we are in class (there is a couple of gsd's she has taken exception to and once got me by accident in the arm and left a nice bruise and tooth mark) what would you recommend and what size for a gsd?

it must be comfortable for her and i must be able to give her treats very easily through the muzzle

ETA: sorry if this is in the wrong place feel free to move if it is x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
hi guys i am looking for a basket type muzzle for my mums dog emmy for when we are in class (there is a couple of gsd's she has taken exception to and once got me by accident in the arm and left a nice bruise and tooth mark) what would you recommend and what size for a gsd?

it must be comfortable for her and i must be able to give her treats very easily through the muzzle
Basskerville Ultra muzzles, superb and fit all of the above criteria.

I have bought them for my two (I always have muzzles in case of accidents etc)
and they are very easy to put on, fit, and you can give treats easily.

they are more secure than the original version as you put the collar through it and there is a nose strap (optional) that also fits onto neck strap.

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/pro...zle_NC5025.htm
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:17 PM
thanks SB they do look good and i also like the fact that the over the head strap is detachable
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:18 PM
One thing I would be carefully of with the Baskerville Ultra is that they are so wildly spaced, (making treating very easy though), and relatively soft and squishy if there is a forceful shove behind them, that it is not impossible for pokey-out bits of other dogs anatomy to poke through the muzzle grid and get bitten (ear flaps, paws noses, or human fingers etc).

Otherwise they are not a bad choice, but I would also aim to maintain a bit of distance, I wouldn't trust them for close introductions, deliberate or accidental.

Size will depend as GSDs are very variable in size. The ultra sizes do not seem to match the ordinary Baskerville sizes in which she would most likely be about a 9.

The headstrap on the ultra makes them much more secure fitting as it makes them much less easy for a dog to pivot the muzzle off it's nose with the forepaws.

Remember to introduce it gradually and to have the dog comfortable with it for the appropriate time period before using it in the problem situation.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:27 PM
If it helps my male GSD has/had an old style Baskerville muzzle size 9, the new one is size 5.

My Weimaraner had size 7 and her new one is size 4.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Kismet has a greyhound muzzle which fits her very well and has enough room in it for her to open her mouth and pant. I used to have a baskerville, but she found it less comfortable as she couldn't open her mouth wide enough when she was hot.

I got hers from here:
http://www.grweshop.co.uk/acatalog/A...tml#a160_2d001

But had to cut the strap off that would have fitted under her chin... And very dapper she looks in it too
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
One thing I would be carefully of with the Baskerville Ultra is that they are so wildly spaced, (making treating very easy though), and relatively soft and squishy if there is a forceful shove behind them, that it is not impossible for pokey-out bits of other dogs anatomy to poke through the muzzle grid and get bitten (ear flaps, paws noses, or human fingers etc).

Otherwise they are not a bad choice, but I would also aim to maintain a bit of distance, I wouldn't trust them for close introductions, deliberate or accidental.

Size will depend as GSDs are very variable in size. The ultra sizes do not seem to match the ordinary Baskerville sizes in which she would most likely be about a 9.

The headstrap on the ultra makes them much more secure fitting as it makes them much less easy for a dog to pivot the muzzle off it's nose with the forepaws.

Remember to introduce it gradually and to have the dog comfortable with it for the appropriate time period before using it in the problem situation.
thank you tass, i dont allow her near the other sheps in class as i know she can be like this, it was more to protect my arm when she kicks off at one particular male in my 2nd class, i was planning on doing the treat in the end and allowing her to get it when she places her nose inside to get it until she was comfortable with this,

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If it helps my male GSD has/had an old style Baskerville muzzle size 9, the new one is size 5.

My Weimaraner had size 7 and her new one is size 4.
thank you again SB

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Kismet has a greyhound muzzle which fits her very well and has enough room in it for her to open her mouth and pant. I used to have a baskerville, but she found it less comfortable as she couldn't open her mouth wide enough when she was hot.

I got hers from here:
http://www.grweshop.co.uk/acatalog/A...tml#a160_2d001

But had to cut the strap off that would have fitted under her chin... And very dapper she looks in it too
she does look great in it (stupid question here do all greyhound muzzles come in one size fits all? as i couldn't see a size selection on that website x
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I was after a Baskerville Ultra but our local pet store stocks all sorts of similar type ones. Leather, plastic, metal, with the headstrap, without it. When I got Ruperts Baskerville I took him to Pets at Home and asked the staff if we could try some muzzles on and found the right size (a size 9) that way. Will do the same here once we've got a good enough grasp of German to communicate properly.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:20 PM
i like both the greyhound and the baskerville ultra, ( i dont think i can get one at a pet shop around here though so will have to order online) i like the baskerville for practicality (space of the bars etc) but like the bright colours of the greyhound ones ( heres me now wishing that the baskerville ultra came in bright pink )
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
i like both the greyhound and the baskerville ultra, ( i dont think i can get one at a pet shop around here though so will have to order online) i like the baskerville for practicality (space of the bars etc) but like the bright colours of the greyhound ones ( heres me now wishing that the baskerville ultra came in bright pink )
Pets at Home stock the Baskerville Ultra otherwise get them direct from the source The company of animals.......Roger Mugford.

I like the colours of the greyhound ones too.......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >