Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2011, 12:48 PM

First training class tonight

We're finally going to our first training class tonight with Marco!

They mentioned making sure we don't feed his tea before the training, which I understand. But I was wondering whether he can go for his usual walk, or whether to wait till after fort hat too.

He usually has about 45-1 hour in the morning, and the same in the evening.

What do you think?

(I've tried calling the trainer to ask, but no answer at the moment.)

Amongst other things, I'm looking forward to teaching him a 'move!' command.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't do an hour's walk before a training class if it were me, but you need to knock a bit of stuffing out of him first, so that he concentrates. Learning is hard work, but you don't want him over excited for it. Other people may have different ideas, but I always used to do 20 mins with a bit of ball throwing in the middle, before I went off to training, just so any excess energy was burnt off, and she settled nicely once in a class. Not always, but most times!!!

Enjoy it, that's what it's all about, having fun with your dog
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I`d give him a very short run and a chance to toilet just beforehand.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I think you have to judge your dog. Personally, I have to give Flynn a good run before I go to any training classes with him otherwise he becomes virtually unmanageable due to excess energy. On the other hand, I have to be careful not to exercise Jed too much otherwise all he wants to do is fall asleep. Just a quick potter on the field and the chance to toilet is all he needs.

Which training class/club did you opt for in the end?
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Oooo, good point about letting him toilet! Maybe a 20 min stroll then and we'll see how that does him this week. I have a feeling he'll be lively anyway witha few other dogs in there!

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Which training class/club did you opt for in the end?
Went for the lady who runs this >http://naughty-pets.co.uk<, it was a convenient night, close by and we got chance to go see a class beforehand, which we liked.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Good luck with tonight. Most dogs don't focus well for the first couple of classes - I know Louie didn't..

Oh btw - Louie's fine to go for a walk now
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I usually give Cain a gentle 20 min walk before training class just to take the edge off and calm him down before class and let him go to the loo.

I used to not feed him but by the time we got home, he wasn't eating until 10pm so now I give him dinner, he still concentrates for his treats in class, depends on the dog I guess
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Good luck for the class with Marco

I'm probably a bit late on this one, but I just take Kestral for a 15 minute walk and toilet in the evening. We do a full walk earlier if its early enough.. Any more than that and shes not quite as intent on working in classes and gets a bit bored.
Same with the food, although I feed her later in the morning and will give her a chew a couple of hours before the class so shes not going too long without eating.

I made a stupid error of taking dried meat to my first class and she wouldn't do anything for me, and went scrounging a daxies cheese! Ive learned my lesson now and only take the best fresh meat

Let us know how it goes!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 07:52 AM
How did it go?
DavidC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-09-2011, 08:14 AM
It was a big fat anti-climax. lol

We got to class to find that the Church (It's held in a church hall) were using it, but the caretaker hadn't informed the trainer.

So until next week.....

Was really looking forward to it too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >