Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

17-06-2005, 02:18 AM

What are your top tips at Dogweb?

Ok... Dogweb is one of the most feature-rich Doggy websites out there and us lot and pretty use to it... but it might seem a little daunting for newcomers - so what would be your top tips for them?

I'll start with one of mine and it is a recent addition inspired by Maplecottage who wanted a quick and easy way to see who else has the same breed as her (or the one shes hoping to get!).

Simply click on the Dogwebbers list (which is under the quick links button)

> click on Search Members (towards the right hand side) > Advanced search

Then just fill out the bit you want to search for, so in this example we are looking for breeds, let's say I want to search for Dobermann!

> Type 'Dobermann' into the 'Main or current breeds owned:' Box

and click on 'search now' at the bottom...

Cool huh!?!

Now what if someone spelt the name wrong or shortened the name when they entered it? You can simply enter the word 'dobe' in the box and then it will show everything with that

Now your turn!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2005, 05:54 AM
Oh if only I was brave enough to edit one of your posts LOL
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Search (using the standard search) for your own name/username from time to time to see if you've missed any threads where people have mentioned you. Someone might be needing your advice

Graeme
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Subscribed threads.

If you subscribe to a thread it makes it easy to find threads you've replied to or threads that have replies since you last checked.

In User CP under 'Edit Options' you can set the 'Default Thread Subscription' mode. There are four options for subscribing:
  • Daily email notification
  • Weekly email notification
  • Instant email notification
  • No notification
The email notification applies when there is a reply to a subscribed thread. If it is set to daily, at midnight you'll be emailed all the new replies to threads you've subscribed to. Weekly is the same except once a week obviously. With Instant email notification as soon as someone replies you'll get an email. And with No notification you'll subscribe every time you reply or start a thread but it wont email you on new replies at all. It is more useful to choose No notification than to not subscribe at all.

Now when you check for New Posts it is easy to see threads you've replied to since there is a tick on each thread you've done so (you automatically subscribe when you reply). If there is a thread you're interested in but don't necessarily want to reply to you can go to 'Thread Tools -> Subscribe to this thread' and it will add it to your list.

Also, in your User CP you get a list of subscribed threads that have new replies and the option to view every thread you've subscribed to.

Hope that makes a little bit of sense

Graeme
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 06:30 AM
How to quote with the persons name

This one often seems to confuse people. If you want to quote a post quickly just click on the 'Quote' button inside the post and everything will be filled out for you.

To do it manually the code is:
HTML Code:
[quote=Azz]
I think Roxy is a really nice person :)
[/quote]
Which will give:
Originally Posted by Azz
I think Roxy is a really nice person
As you can see you just have to add the persons name after the [quote= part

Graeme
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 06:35 AM
How to make a tidy URL (link)

If you have a long URL you want to put in a post it can get a bit messy. For example this thread is: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=13036

You can make it a lot tidier by doing the following:

HTML Code:
[url=http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=13036]This is a useful thread[/url]
which gives us: This is a useful thread

Which makes it easier for people to read the thread and they are more likely to follow the link.

Graeme
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 06:49 AM
Top Posters

To see the top posters follow Azz's instructions on how to do a member search but leave all the fields blank. At the bottom Sort by Post Count and change it to Descending order. Click search and you'll see who is really addicted

Graeme
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2005, 11:35 AM
I like this....

If you go to thread tools/printable version you can easily print out useful things like the instructions to posting pictures.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

17-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Some great tips there Graeme and Mini.. and thanks Roxy for pointing out my mistakes! lol
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Thankyou very much. This thread is very useful to me indeed as I'm new here and was beginning to get lost
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >