Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Puppy Died Today - Parvo

I'm so sad and angry at the moment today we had to euthanise a 14 week old puppy due to parvo.

The breeder phoned this morning, to say that the puppy had vomitted 2 days ago, yesterday was very lethargic and this morning had passed extremely smelly diorrhea that was almost like jelly. The moment she told me this I was worried and told her to bring him straight down. The vet had a look at him and immediately suspected parvo, so we took him straight in and into isolation for testing.
The test results for parvo came back positive so we phoned the breeder and told her the news and the treatment that we could provide. Her immediate response was "I want the puppy put to sleep". The breeder has 3 other puppies from the same litter, the mum, and 4 other dogs of her own. None of the dogs are vaccinated - she only gives the primary vaccinations and then that's it - fine if she bothered to titre test but she doesn't do that either. All of the puppies are unvaccinated at 14 weeks old, the mum is 6 and has had no vaccinations since she was a puppy, and the same with her other dogs of 5, 6, 9 and 11. We told her that there was an extremely high risk of the other dogs being infected and that they should all be tested too, and if found negative, vaccinated immediately. She decided that if the results were positive, she would euthanise them all anyway, so wanted the puppies vaccinated right away. Our vet explained that she could not be sure that the vaccine would work if the pup already had parvo, and that it may even make things worse. The breeder went ahead with the vaccination anyway, and when we went to book the appointment for the second vaccination in 2 weeks time, she said "actually I only want the one done". After explaining to her several times that the vaccine is a course of 2 injections, she still refused to come back for the second vaccine - even though she already payed for it today.

I'm so so sad for the little pup, and I hope and pray that her other dogs are ok! It's frustrating because it's so easily prevented! If only she bothered to get her dogs either titre tested or vaccinated, we wouldn't have lost that little pup today

Run free at the bridge little baby xxxxxxx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Some people are so selfish, it makes me mad. That poor little pup I really feel for her other dogs too. All she's thinking about is the £££££ she has to spend on them......makes me so angry !!!
Chrisjonesxx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-07-2007, 04:12 PM
This makes me very sad. We breed occasionally and only when we believe all the circumstances are correct, i.e. enquiries for puppies from prospective new owners, mother OK, potential father vetted by us, time, space and money to cover all immediate costs. We also ensure that all our dogs are vaccinated every year (rightly or wrongly and we have had no adverse reactions yet) and our puppies are vaccinated at 8 and 10 weeks. There is no other way. It is hard work for those few months but unless a breeder is prepared to do ALL that it takes to bring puppies into the world with every chance of a fulfilling life, they should not breed.
struthie
New Member!
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Thats so sad,poor pups.
All four of mine have thier boosters every year no question.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:18 PM
sounds like a know it all type of person

after all how stupid is she not to have it done cos she has paid for it

poor pup and poor others at home
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:29 PM
We also ensure that all our dogs are vaccinated every year (rightly or wrongly and we have had no adverse reactions yet)
You vaccinate against the regime the manufacturers recommend then ?

As to the adverse reactions you are lucky my dad's Cavalier died within 3 hours of being vaccinated, he was taken ill in the vets & never came home
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:30 PM
please guys this is not a debate about how often to give vaccinations - that's been done enough already
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Oh, that is so sad. Poor pup.

This story highlights the issue that regular vaccinations are important when diseases like Parvovirus are around.

Not long ago there were cases of Parvo in my area, most were fatalities. After hearing about them, I was very worried that I phoned my vet and asked him would my dogs be ok as they'd had the routine vaccinations, or would they need any additional vaccines. I was assured that as long as they'd had the regular vaccines they would be fine (they checked on the system what vaccines my dogs had), but to obviously keep an eye on them anyway.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
please guys this is not a debate about how often to give vaccinations - that's been done enough already

So you are happy that vets are still getting people to annually vaccinate against the vaccine companies advice ?

Fine I won't comment again I'm obviously so very very wrong
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 04:53 PM
There you go over the top again Joedee, start a new thread on the vaccine debate if you want to this isn't the thread to start it.
Clearly this breeder does not care for her dogs very much that she wont listen to advice about how her other dogs maay well be carriers and harbouring the disease. Lets hope she's one that doesn't walk her dogs either or she'll infect the whole area
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >