Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-03-2007, 10:38 AM

Any tips anyone.

I now walk Ollie on a harness he is much happier than on a dogmatic,and I can control him quite well he can jump about a little but nothing you can't handle.
The problem is if he see's a dog and he doesn't get to say hello he will either stand or sit and refuse to budge till it is out of sight,same with Humans he is so nosey.
Been doing some research and they suggest with this breed no pulling or tugging as they are sensitive. Stubborn also,and trying to pull him just makes him dig his heels in harder anyway,tried treats but in the end I am stood like a lemon waiting till Ollie decides there is no point in waiting anymore and follows along with me.
Hoping he will outgrow it eventually.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Does he have a favourite toy??
If the treats aren't working you need to find something for him that is much more rewarding than the dog or person he is watching, that rewarding thing has to be you....
encouraged him with silly high pitched voices and take his fav toy out..only get it out of your pocket when you see another dog or person and wave it around and make it interesting...alternatively, if he likes the 'squeak' in some toys, get a small squeaky toy, stick it in your pocket, don't let him know about it and distract him with the squeak...he will look for it, hopefully, for a while that will be more interesting than other dogs/people...as soon as he moves forward praise him, with a treat, if he wants it, or with being able to see the toy and perhaps carry it a little...or of course, just with a lovely big tickle ALL with LOADS of verbal praise!
Hope it helps
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Does he have a favourite toy??
If the treats aren't working you need to find something for him that is much more rewarding than the dog or person he is watching, that rewarding thing has to be you....
encouraged him with silly high pitched voices and take his fav toy out..only get it out of your pocket when you see another dog or person and wave it around and make it interesting...alternatively, if he likes the 'squeak' in some toys, get a small squeaky toy, stick it in your pocket, don't let him know about it and distract him with the squeak...he will look for it, hopefully, for a while that will be more interesting than other dogs/people...as soon as he moves forward praise him, with a treat, if he wants it, or with being able to see the toy and perhaps carry it a little...or of course, just with a lovely big tickle ALL with LOADS of verbal praise!
Hope it helps
Thanks for that Ramble was just thinking I may take a squeaky toy out this afternoon and keep it hidden in my pocket and see if I can distract him,when I need to he usually works very well for treats but in those circumstances I am afraid I am not interesting enough to him.they are sensitive but also very stubborn.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Thanks for that Ramble was just thinking I may take a squeaky toy out this afternoon and keep it hidden in my pocket and see if I can distract him,when I need to he usually works very well for treats but in those circumstances I am afraid I am not interesting enough to him.they are sensitive but also very stubborn.
mmmmm...been there, sensitive and stubborn, not an easy mix at all.
The squeak could just make you interesting enough to get him moving, have it in the pocket on the other side to him, so it's not too close and he has to think about where the noise is coming from, do a 'what's that???' as well, as SOON as he moves, praise him and keep him going with your voice and the squeak and then reard him with a high calibre reward ...
That's the other option thinking about it. Do you always use the same treats? One way of using treats to trian (sorry if you know this Lynn) is to grade them, have their very fav (maybe cheese) for if they do something exceptional or it's something you are just starting to teach, then another lower grade one (still tasty though) for things that they know, but still need rewarding for at times...I always carry 3 different types!!!!
Hope it works!
Ax

Just thought....bet ya won't see anyone else on your walk this afternoon!!!!! That's always the way isn't it???!!!! :smt002
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I do vary his treats but not on the walk thats a very good idea and I don't mind any input as it is all useful,will try those thinigs this afternoon,but like you say wil probably not meet anybody.Will let you know how it goes.
Thankyou for the suggestions.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I do vary his treats but not on the walk thats a very good idea and I don't mind any input as it is all useful,will try those thinigs this afternoon,but like you say wil probably not meet anybody.Will let you know how it goes.
Thankyou for the suggestions.
No probs!!! Just hope it works!!! He's a big boy to be plonking his bum down and not moving!!!!
Bless him!!!!