Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradored
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2013, 09:08 PM

Car/van for agility comps n keeping it cool

hello,
it will soon be time to get rid of my poor little corsa and im thinking of making the move into getting a dogmobile! quite like the kangoo vans......my question is what do you guys recommend vehicle wise and especially in reference to going to agility comps next summer...how do you keep said vehicle nice and cool when you are at comps all day
realise its slightly the wrong time of year to be asking this but hey, maybe santa will bring me some stuff
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I had dark film (not total black-out) professionally put on the back windows of my car and its cuts out a huge amount of the UV and sunlight (in excess of 90%). I also have two of these which are fantastic and reflect the sun away from the car.
http://www.waggitt.co.uk/acatalog/SI...TS_COVERS.html I didn't get mine from this company but they have sold out so found this one if its of any help.
Crate fans etc etc, but the above two will make the biggest difference.

Good luck and let us know what vehicle you decide on.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I had dark film (not total black-out) professionally put on the back windows of my car and its cuts out a huge amount of the UV and sunlight (in excess of 90%).
Be careful as there is a legal limit to the depth of shade you can use.

I have a white van with no windows in the sides or back and find it keeps cool during the hottest weather. If possible, I open up the back and side doors to get a through breeze and will hang silver sheets in the doorways if the sun is slanting in. You do have to learn to reverse using your wing mirrors though!

Mine is the Nissan version of the Vivaro/Trafic but I have four dogs (six for a while) and need the space. It also tows the caravan brilliantly.

There is a lot more choice out there now. Good luck!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Thanks Pam but its not 90% of light that is blocked, but of the UV. Mine is totally legal and it was arranged to be put on by the garage when I bought the car and I even included it in my insurance But thanks anyway (it is only on back side windows and the back one) I have to admit it is a pain at night time and like you I then have to use my mirrors.
labradored
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks, I think a van would suit me better, esp one with doors on each side. just nothing too big as its only for 2 dogs and I would be uncomfortable going from my little corsa to a massive van!. Seen a few people with fiat vans a bit like the kangoos too and like the look of them also.

What about cage fans - is their a particular brand that is the best?, cooling mats - are they any good??, who is the best supplier for tailgate guards etc. the reflective sheets look good
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 09:41 AM
I switched from a Subaru Impreza to a VW Caddy Maxi DSG van, no side or back windows, ply lined & with air con. I have fans linked to power sources rather than battery operated cage fans. My dogs have to put up with Lintran custom made transit boxes with two added mesh crates for the latest additions(although there is room in the transit box for all 6 dogs

The ply lining stops condensation, muffles the noise if the bunk head has been removed as mine has & also stops damage to the interior at the back.

The beauty of the longer wheel base is I can open back & sliding doors as well as the front windows to increase the air flow. Front windows covered with a windscreen reflecter when parked. It's been ace during the hot weather this year
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2013, 01:52 PM
I have a citroen nemo which is pretty much the equivelint to the kangoo and the peugeot do the biper i have found the van is just the right size for my two dogs without being to big for driving to and from work as i have no air con in the summer i use crate fans and the dogs wear cooling coats hope that helps.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
I have a citroen nemo which is pretty much the equivelint to the kangoo and the peugeot do the biper i have found the van is just the right size for my two dogs without being to big for driving to and from work as i have no air con in the summer i use crate fans and the dogs wear cooling coats hope that helps.
I've just googled citroen nemo ... what a great little van
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Thanks Pam but its not 90% of light that is blocked, but of the UV. Mine is totally legal and it was arranged to be put on by the garage when I bought the car and I even included it in my insurance But thanks anyway (it is only on back side windows and the back one) I have to admit it is a pain at night time and like you I then have to use my mirrors.
Yes, I realised that but just wanted to warn the OP.
labradored
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2013, 09:29 PM
like the Nemo and the vw caddy too. think I def want something with twin sliding doors. there is a garage nearby that gets lots of ex british gas vans and they are caddys with twin sliding doors. Just need to give em a test drive!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >