Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
HGV drivers are regulated which will raise safety levels. They are also performing a function that is essential.
Is it really? In all cases? For who? Everyone??

All 4 x4 driver say their vehicle is essential too but if the reasons are recreational rather than occupational I would say they are in the same situation as people whose recreations and hobbies involve plane travel and have therefore chosen to, or been obliged to, consider the impact of that.
I don't think anyone is suggesting they are banned because of their occupational use but taxing those that use them recreationally seems an obvious step comparable, say, to flighing because their impact.
No one is saying ban them in this thread but those links you provided say that. 4X4 users need to go to the store too often in an urban enviroment because that's where the stores are even if the driver has come from the country.

You could say anything in life is a choice, even occupation to be honest...but that's a word I like CHOICE!!

Seriously ask yourself, what do you feel more threatend by when on the road, massive HGV's stupid fast bikes etc etc are people really that affraid on 4X4's??

When I am a pedestrian or cyclist or even inside our truck all vehicles can seem a danger.

The only thing I will agree on is pollution but from all cars as lots of 4X4's are cleaner than alot of cars. I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten so heavily penalised for our little puddle jumper (car) even though it bellowed out lots of stinky smoke (although nothing could ever be found wrong with it!) as opposed to our clean truck but hey.

Like I said I would be quite happy to ban all vehicles full stop that puts us all on an equal level! But why focus on 4X4's encourage more people into puddle jumpers then have them get hit by a friggin great HGV etc.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 06:20 PM
can some1 just tell me,ive looked on the tax link and theres no mention of this £400 that is being introduced,so is this the old system.
also,to me it looks like not all 4x4 will be effected
im abit slow on this,some1 please explain in simple english
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 06:25 PM
why they have to single out 4x4s is a joke why not put the same tax increase on all vehicles there all on the road all use petrol or diesel
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
can some1 just tell me,ive looked on the tax link and theres no mention of this £400 that is being introduced,so is this the old system.
also,to me it looks like not all 4x4 will be effected
im abit slow on this,some1 please explain in simple english
hello right I've just taken a step back from being argumentative for a min @me

Had a look at the site and from what I see things are based on emissions for vehicles post 2001. Not engine size or anything. Emissions. People with new vehicles will get hit hardest. Seeing as we are poor and don't have a new truck (4X4) we wont have much change to what we already pay which will still be based on engine size (vehicles pre 2001).

So if you find a new 4X4 with a good emissions figure your right it doesn't out and out affect all 4X4 users and doesn't make much change to older vehicles.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 06:34 PM
it's kinda good and kinda bad I can see. Not good for people getting hit with newer modles, why should they get penalized when they may well be cleaner than the older vehicles, but good that it focuses on emissions rather than size! I guess if it encourages people to go for the cleaner vehicles when they are buying new it's a good thing.

I'm glad the older vehicles arn't to affected though because if you can't afford brand new motors you can't really afford massive tax increases. If you can afford to splash out on a new vehicle maybe you can afford the higher tax, don't know really. But at least it doesn't particulary single out 4X4's as such but focuses on cleaner vehicles in general.

That is if I have grasped it right??
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2007, 07:07 PM
The £400 charge is not effective until next year, this year it is £300 and it has jumped from the current £210. Personnally I'm not that bothered and it will not put me off, I do think that it is a bit **** up though as the older vehicles which probably pollute more are not affected, so please lets not think it has anything to do with cutting emissions as it clearly doesn't.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Isuzu Rodeo 3L here... fantastic vehicle for shopping, dogs, and to be honest it surprised me as the fuel comsumption is far less than cars I have run previously!! K sara sara, what will be will be, we love our 4 x 4 and just to add I do approx 5000 miles a year.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 07:38 PM
I think it would make most sense to compare it to the vehicle they are likely to be replacing. IE if you did not set out to Tescos in your 4X4 you would probably not be in an HGV or a transit van.
Well in my case, yes it would as my OH has a works transit van and my car is a 4x4!

Max comes to work with me and spends around an hour in the car every day. As a big dog it is vital that he has a roomy and comfortable vehicle to be in for that length of time. I spent a long time choosing a car that was big enough for Max and had the ability to cope with the rural places where we take Max for walks.

The government can carry on putting the tax up and I will grit my teeth and carry on paying it because no idiot government is going to dictate to me what I choose to drive.

But the government should look on the bright side - if they keep raising the tax eventually no one will buy 4x4s any more and then all they will have to worry about is how to deal with the huge rise in unemployment because all of the landrover employees will be out of a job.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
The £400 charge is not effective until next year, this year it is £300 and it has jumped from the current £210. Personnally I'm not that bothered and it will not put me off, I do think that it is a bit **** up though as the older vehicles which probably pollute more are not affected, so please lets not think it has anything to do with cutting emissions as it clearly doesn't.
no don't get me wrong...i think it is to do with cutting anything...fattening up pockets maybe

I did make the same point as you about not being totally fair that newer vehicles get penalized as they could be cleaner than old clapt out ones etc.

So what is 'the £400 charge'??
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2007, 08:06 PM
the £400 will be for class G vehicles like mine which is now £300 and was £210 before the budget. So whether he is chancellor or not next year he has already set the charge. My previous car was in the same band too, so even if I hadn't traded it in last year I would still pay the same charge and that was a saloon, although a saloon with a very big engine
Page 7 of 19 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »