register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Don't seem to have seen a post from Helena for a while now, maybe I'm soooo old I've forgotten All beds ready for girlies now, given them a pear each to be going on with, at last am going to do the tidying and hoovering I've been going to do all day. Must remember to get that adaptor for the Celebrity Hoover as well, then I can give it a whirl before it goes back in its box till needed. Any piccies of Kyla, Nippy, bet she looked adorable Right I'm nearly done, making a cup of tea and going to blow my mind again with this book, it is so way over my head now it is like reading techy type science fiction
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2014, 05:19 PM
June - Can see the particle of pythagoras coming into your book on lenses etc. However pythagorean commas are to do with sound and note spacing so don't see what they would have to do with it. Unless some comparison is being made between the varying speeds of light and sound. In truth though I was not much of a science man and struggle a bit with the more advanced mathematical theories. Natural history was my forte and still is - but with that exception I have always been more of a classicist than scientist. Don't think that your very worthy book would hold my attention long enough to wade through it all. Also the strained old brain doesn't seem to process new stuff as it should nowadays!!!! Bye fer now.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2014, 05:34 PM
TW, June can you give us the title of that book, I do not recall you telling us what it was. I am fascinated by it all. Never too old to learn.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Moyra - Totally agree with the "never too old to learn" sentiment. Sadly, I can remember things Iwas taught many years ago in great detail but struggle to bring to mind things that I read or was told only a day or two ago. Seems, as I said in a previous post, my poor old brain is becoming strained in it's dotage.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-11-2014, 06:03 PM
The Crystal Sun by Robert Temple. Gordon, the bit I've just waded through is to do with sound, some sort similarity of octaves to measurement, the Comma of Pythagoras is expressed as being 1.0136. Apparently the length of the earths year in days differs from the number of degrees in a circle by the Comma of Pythagoras,
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Oh Gordon, so agree with you. I was an avid reader and even during my divorce in 1982 managed to sit my City and Guilds certificate in Amateur Radio half way through the course and get credits in both papers. Not sure I could do that today. I read a lot in those days especially anything about History and Alien life connections. History shows in hieroglyphics and pictures left in caves that there has always been Alien life evidence which is so interesting.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2014, 06:07 PM
No June, I have not read that book, might see if I can get a copy and get into it.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
The Crystal Sun by Robert Temple. Gordon, the bit I've just waded through is to do with sound, some sort similarity of octaves to measurement, the Comma of Pythagoras is expressed as being 1.0136. Apparently the length of the earths year in days differs from the number of degrees in a circle by the Comma of Pythagoras,

I haven't read it June but it makes sense. 1.0360 is right because although we work in leap years the only reason we do is to make up that shortage of each year in four but if you work it out it is really in 8. Hence the Octave is an eighth of the scale and is short of the full Clave. Well I am not sure but it makes sense.

Fireworks are going off here tonight so I had better call it a night. God bless.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Someone once said to me that at our age, in order for our brains to absorb new info some old stuff has to drop out
Moyra I got a credit for my amateur radio City and Guilds as well but I'm darned sure I would never do it now!
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Ooooh!!! My brain hurts - think I'll take a couple of aspirin and have a lie down in a darkened room! Perhaps I've got pythagorian pulverisation of the pituitary. Not really likely, but a fine example of illiteration. Bye fer now.
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >