View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks all, I have just had a text message to say they are ok but the phone is out. Such a relief!!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Great news Moet and what a huge relief for your sister ... and you
Lynn Providing Gorden's narrow boat is moored up river of the Thames Barrier the boat will be fine.

Off to walk the dogs now.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Morning Lynn, morning all. My former brother-in-law and his wife live in the village of Blythburgh which was on a severe flood warning yesterday evening as it is on the marshes, and I have been unable to contact them. Do hope they are OK. Puts my falling face first in the mud last night in the pouring rain into perspective.

Hope everyone keeps safe and warm today.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Morning all. Don't know what you use for news but I use Google News (world and UK) and it's certainly been top topic on there for UK news.
Weather warning: Thames Barrier closed as London braces for gale force winds ...
http://news.google.co.uk/news/sectio...4d7debb&ict=ln

I lived there in the East End before the Thames Barrier was built and many years my old nan and neighbours down in Woolwich would be evacuated for the Spring Tides as the Thames and the ships on it then were right at the end of their road. (If you could get them to leave their homes that is - lots of them having stayed put all through WWII in those old houses and it being the most heavily bombed area in the country). My grandad would apparently never agree to go to a bomb shelter. Pretty stoic old folk they were.

I'm glad all on here are safe so far.

I've had the coffee table delivered and guess what? I'd told the woman on the phone that it was for a tenant but I think it would be too big so will keep it myself. They turned up with ANOTHER little square one with mag rack at each end and a little drawer in it for Suliman lol! He is over the moon with it he was beaming widely as he took it in! (weighed a bluddy ton was solid oak) and they let me have it for 20 euro! Bless them. They brought me a little Xmas pressie too - 2 round craft boxes that fit inside each other with carved snowman on top. Lovely old couple.

I'll treat Suliman to it and not charge the owners as they paid for the huge coffee table Moneth wanted in there already (but he uses that like a sideboard he just wants summat right next to his chair for his coffee cup etc) well worth it - he's an ACE tenant. He brought the money down yesterday for the rent and all bills owing for the other Libyan who is still away. Property management would be a doddle if all tenants were like him!

And I'm now in possession of FOUR 500 euro notes that you can't spend in shops around here lol! Geez I will have to go to the bank soon. Or take them to foreign exchange and get sterling for them. I keep telling him these 500s are unspendable!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Morning Malka I hope your former BIL and family are safe. The evacuation exercise was good and it sounds like they will be keeping on with it today and monitoring the situation closeley. I think the road to Blythburgh was shut yesterday.
Jenny the boat at the moment is on the Lea Stonebridge lock and then goes onto the Regents canal both non tidal and fairly safe although all boats when the wind gets up can be a bit challenging and frightening. We have many times when walking the river Lea because it was far to choppy to take the cruiser out we had been to check it was still on its mooring seen narrow boats struggling and had them chuck us a rope and help pull them into the bank to get moored up. There is of course the knowing how tight or not to have the ropes when moored if you feel the winds will be strong and the river may rise. Thankfully Gorden like yourself knows how to to do these things. Michael may of forgotten he did know but shown once he will remember and he is a quick learner.
Gerri so glad to hear your sister is safe.
Morning Pat sounds like winners all round today except that you can't spend the notes.

Back form our walk and although it is much calmer out there today compared to yesterday it is very cold. I went prepared today with many layers on and was glad of them.
We have had a game of tug in the garden and Dillon drops immediately now if you ask him too and let the arm go limp.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
We are very well elevated here.............................................. .
Harvey we were fine here I know Sheree was a little worried having seen her posting elsewhere. I am not sure as yet how she fared.
So it paid off that you checked the 'flood plain' maps before you bought the place

I've forgotten my password for that 'other place' so I can't contact her but do let us know when you hear anything.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi
Just a quick Hello,off to take my mum to do her Christmas shopping
Hope everyone is well,see ya later xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Morning Harvey yes it paid off thank goodness.
Morning Eileen enjoy your Christmas shopping.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Dogs walked in the sun which was lovely and Rucksack is now lying on the carpet in the hall with his brother with the sun streaming in on them. I think his head might explode as the cone is probably like being in a greenhouse .. I have moved him but he keep going back .. daft dog.

Tang I'm glad your keeping the coffee table 'cos I think its gorgeous If you are concerned about those 4 500 euro notes, pop them in the post to me and I'll spend them. I would of course tell you what I'd bought with them so that you had some pleasure from them I too remember well when the Thames Barrier was built and I haven't heard that it didn't stand up to last nights high tides as Port of London Authority have been concerned that they need to be made bigger.
Morning Harvey .... I usually miss you in the evenings. I hope all is well with you.
Hi Lacey enjoy the time with you Mum helping her with her shopping.

Still waiting for Bev and Norma to put an appearance in to tell us they and their properties are OK.

OH out shopping but just before he went he informed me that he's agreed a deal to buy another race car He said he was really worried about telling me ..... he, he, I now have some bartering power me thinks He's promised to sell the other two though before the season starts. I now know why he's been so keen to get the barn cleared. I'll be off looking at new carpets, en suite bathroom and lounge curtains now.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Morning

Yes, very sad news about Nelson Mandela Lynn. I was just reading a quote from him:

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

Sorry you are feeling bad Jenny. I know that feeling, when your eyes feel half-closed and heavy. I hope you can get a nap later.

MM - I'm so glad your family are okay.

Nippy - You are amazing with your wrapping; I haven't even thought about Christmas cards.

Today started off good but hasn't ended that way. I actually got around 6 hours of unbroken sleep last night and had a lovely walk over the fields with Loki.

Then I decided to look at the finances. Why-oh-why did I do that?

To cut a long story short, I ended up trying to transfer a sum of money into my savings account but sent it to Carys' Child Trust Fund account by accident. I never intended to put any more money in there but was going to open a Junior ISA instead because the rates are better. And I can't get the money back so I've had to contact HMRC to see if they will authorise it, but I suspect they won't.

I'll probably have to put more in Michael's account or get him a Junior ISA for the same sum now now to be fair.

I'm a right twit!
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »