Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Is this epilepsy?

My x-staffie (male -11 years old)has had four episodes of going wobbly and falling to the ground with stiff front and hind legs. his eyes looking like there going up and down. This has all happend in the last four months. the first three times it happended was in one day. he was taken to the vets and she said she thought it could be an infection causing a fit and prescribed antibiotics. once he had finished the course he was fine up until 2 weeks ago.

we were on walkies and my other dog (AB) nearly bulldozed my staffie to the ground by running into the side of him. the staffie went all wobbley and stiff and eyes going up and down and just lay there for about 2 minutes.

do you think this is a form of epilepsy? does anyone else have a dog like this? any advice appreicated.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Did the vet consider vestibular disease? It is doubtful that it is epilepsy in this age dog it would normally have reared its head before now.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Did the vet consider vestibular disease? It is doubtful that it is epilepsy in this age dog it would normally have reared its head before now.
No. she just said unless it started happening regulary there was no point in doing any testing. it's just a bit scary when it happens. but he comes round okay but is very tired for the rest of the day.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I have to agree with smokeybear. A dog that age with no previous history of epilepsy does not suddenly become epileptic unless it has had some very recent major head trauma.

Those episodes also do not sound like epileptic seizures.
binky44
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:25 PM
My dog that I used to have a few years back developed seizures in his old age and never showed any signs of it in his younger years. He was about 12 when he had fitting every now and again. He lived to 14.

Just thought you may want to know as it does happen sometimes in older age.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Seizures that occur in an older dog are usually caused by an age-related condition, and are not epilepsy.