Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2005, 12:57 AM

Kingdom of Heaven

I see that the DVD of Ridley Scott's "Kingdom of Heaven" is due for release on 3 October. I've been looking forward to this, as I have a liking for "sweeping epics" of this type.

My only concern is that the lead role of "Ballan" went to Orlando Bloom, an actor I don't rate (because, IMO, he can't act his way out of a wet paper bag). He may be good eye-candy for the ladies, but he has no ability to convey emotion (As Legolas in LOTR, he didn't have to, as Legolas is an elf and not human). I have the DVD of "Troy" (it's that "sweeping epic" thing again!) and, as Prince Paris, he may as well have been reading a phone directory.

Has anyone actually seen this film yet (dunno its general cinema release date), and, if so, is it worth £15.99 as a DVD? The DVD (etc.) website play.com is taking pre-orders now, and I'd like to know it's worthwhile before I take advantage of this service!

Being a Ridley Scott film, and having seen some short clips, I'm sure it will be spectacular in a visual way, but is the acting any good? Liam Neeson is in it, and he's pretty reliable, but I'm not so sure about young Mr Bloom! Looking good and remembering all one's lines doesn't make one a good actor automatically!

My apologies to anyone who thinks Orlando is the bee's knees, but I think he's over-rated by quite a long way.

I'm sorry also if I appear a bit old-fashioned, but I think that the quality of the acting is quite an important part of any film. Special effects may be stunning, and actors/actresses may be pretty, but I think a film needs more than just that
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Have just started downloading this, will let you no what its like
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Have watched half way through this and it hasn,t done anything for me. Some blood and gore but totally overated (boring) imo you can get it for the cheaper price £11.99 (plus free delivery) here http://www.choicesdirect.com/templat...uctGuid=673447
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi Snorri

Im an epic girl myself, Gladiator/Ben hur/Spartacus etc etc and I didn't really rate Troy that well and thought Kingdom of Heaven was worse, might of been a bit better if they chose a better actor than Orlando Bloom, he's too much of a 'weakling' in my eyes !!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the link, Louie, I've bookmarked it for future use! I'm always on the lookout for cheapies! At that price, I may go for it, Orlando Bloom or not!

In "Black Hawk Down", the director made good use of him, and threw him out of a helicopter. After all, even Orlando can play "dead" without too much effort! BTW, I've heard he's going to star in a new film about a haunted house - he's going to play the doorstop!

Snorri

P.S. - if you're beginning to get the idea that I don't rate him, you could be on the right track!
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 06:01 PM
i seen this and didnt realy rate it much its too much like troy but then im a huge horror fan ..
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Ah well, I follwed Louie's link and decided to grab it at the lower price. Where I live, the cinema is part of the new leisure centre, and it's only part-time anyway. They keep films for only about three days; it's fifteen miles away and not very cheap (the whole complex is running on a deficit and they have upped charges to try to balance the books). If we go, we have to a) settle the dogs and b) eat out, so I thought that, at £11.95, it was going to be cheaper and easier just to get the DVD, especially if we take the petrol cost into consideration! In Kirkwall, petrol (Unleaded) is 99.7p a litre, and our Nissan Primera would drink about a gallon on the return journey to town, effectively adding £4 to the cost of the film!

The last time I was in a cinema was in Edinburgh - for the original release of "Jurassic Park" (which was, I think, 1992!)

Nowadays, I prefer to watch films on DVD, at home - nobody gets shirty if you stay for a second showing, there's a bar, and no shifting seats to let people out to go to the loo! Videos were fine, but DVDs are so much better. Videos don't seem to store as well - I've just had to replace my video of "The Last of the Mohicans" with its DVD version - the video colour was beginning to fade, the DVD is perfect! Bl**dy excellent film, too, BTW!

Snorri
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 01:31 PM
i mostly buy my dvds in from america a they are cheaper and b half the time they just reaching our cinema and i have it on dvd already ..
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by deefin
i mostly buy my dvds in from america a they are cheaper and b half the time they just reaching our cinema and i have it on dvd already ..
Which is fine, if you have a multi-region DVD player! Mine is a multi-region Toshiba, but we've never tested it with a non-region 2 DVD (too mean to risk the price on something that might not work!). No reason why it shouldn't work, but I seem to have no luck with things like that! I do have some CDs that came from the US, nowt wrong with them at all, but a helluva lot cheaper than in the UK (like too many other things!). No wonder people say "Rip-off Britain"!

However, having said that, I saw a CD advertised in the Britannia Music Club mag, at £7.99 + P&P. When I ordered it from their website, I got it for £5 + P&P, and it arrived in record time (no pun intended!). Vladimir Horowitz playing piano sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti, very relaxing, just what I needed!

Snorri