Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 12:57 PM

Under the knife.......

Went to see the consultant today about what is the next step with my knee.

Unfortunately, the supplements didn't work enough, so my option is a partial knee replacement.

I should get a date for the op in 2-3 months time.

Apparently, the anaesthetist injects your spine so you have no feeling in your leg, which negates the need for a GA. However, I'm terrified of this........ Just the thought of what could go wrong makes me sweat....

If I have the spine jab, then I will be up and about the same day. If I have a full blown GA, then I won't be up and about until the next day.

With spine jab stay in hospital will be 3 days.
With GA stay in hopital will be 4-5 days.

I know this is technology moving on, and all that, but it scares me to death.

Anyone else ever had a spine jab?

Recovery is 2-3 months I've not told work yet.....
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Not good news hun

Having nursed both post spinal patients and post GA patients. I would always choose a spinal if given the choice. The thought is scary but the risk is less and recovery is a lot quicker and gentler.

Try not to let it panic you x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Not good news hun

Having nursed both post spinal patients and post GA patients. I would always choose a spinal if given the choice. The thought is scary but the risk is less and recovery is a lot quicker and gentler.

Thanks for that, Lorna xx
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry you have to have an op Vicki, but it may be for the best in the long run.

I'm guessing the spine jab is similar to an epidural (sp) which I had when I was in labour with No.1 son, and I was fine, I didn't feel a thing and they had to cut me to make room for him, and I had no side effects what so ever, although it was a wierd feeling not being able to feel anthing from the waist down
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
One of my patients has had both knees done - one under general years ago and one with spinal not so long ago.
So I asked him for you... he said he was terrified of the spinal, but although it was an odd sensation he would pick that again as he wasn't at all sick when recovering - which he was with GA.
hth... and good luck with getting an appointment pdq. *hugs*

Who's going to look after you through recovery, hon?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:31 PM
If the spinal is the same as an epidural when having babies, then it's absolutely fab. I had my first baby without and it was a living nightmare. The next two births I had epidurals and it was a piece of cake. What pain????

Sorry to hear you have to have the op. I have been told I may need knee replacements in years to come (inflammatory arthritis) but the drugs I'm on seem to be holding the inflammation down (for now anyways).

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go. I'm sure with all the great painkillers nowadays, you'll sail through it
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
ouch Hun, that doesn't sound nice, but hopefully in the long run you'll be so glad you did it.

I'm glad Dogsey members are able to give you some comfort about the spine jab - certainly from their experiences it sounds the best way to go, if you can get over your fear. x
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Not good news hun

What she says, go for it!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Not the news you were hoping for Vicki.

when Mum broke her right hip just over 2 years ago she had the epidural/spinal jab as she cannot have GA due to her sarcoidosis which affects her lungs, she said it was great she didn't feel ill when she woke up which in previous years she had always been ill after a GA. She could hear but not feel anything and the Anaeathestist (sp) talked her all the way through it. She was 87 at the time.

I can remember being very shocked and saying they wouldn't get near me without me being totally out. I am a big coward though.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 02:10 PM
just wanted to give you a hug, xx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >