Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Putting weight on a dog with a small appetite

Ive always had problems keeping weight on Ishka. She doesnt eat much. I feed her once a day as when I was feeding her twice she was leaving her breakfast. She just doesnt eat much.

Ive tried a few different foods also Ive tried adding a bit of water, wet food and gravy to kibble and she still doesnt each very much. Sometimes she looks a bit skinny. She gets 1 hour excersize a day.

Are there any supplements I could add to put a bit of weight on her? Ive come to the conclusion she just has a small appetite but could be wrong. The only thing she truely loves is that packaged ham stuff but she cant live off that Shes due her boosters soon so will ask the vet about her then. Just wondered does anyone have any ideas in the meantime.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2012, 08:25 PM
I assume her teeth and all is well, if this is something she's "always" been doing?

I'd add oil to her food (fish oil or another dog food supplement oil), whatever little she eats.
For your daily walks I'd bring a package of ham with me and use as treats, to get something extra in her.

If she isn't scaringly skinny I wouldn't worry too much, it's like people, some people are naturally thinner or heavier than others. But ofc, if she *looks* ill, then yeah.
I guess maybe different raw products might not be to her taste either?
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by JulieSS View Post
I assume her teeth and all is well, if this is something she's "always" been doing?

I'd add oil to her food (fish oil or another dog food supplement oil), whatever little she eats.
For your daily walks I'd bring a package of ham with me and use as treats, to get something extra in her.

If she isn't scaringly skinny I wouldn't worry too much, it's like people, some people are naturally thinner or heavier than others. But ofc, if she *looks* ill, then yeah.
I guess maybe different raw products might not be to her taste either?
Thank you for the reply. Her teeth are fine and shes always been a small eater. You can see her ribs a bit more than Id like on occasion but shes not scary skinny if you get me. I cant feed her raw I just dont have the freezer space, though she did turn her nose up at lamb fat (cooked). Dunno why she loves the ham so much shes an odd one
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 09:24 PM
If you have ever looked at my pics you'll see how skinny Copper is. He has never been a big eater and i have no idea why. Wish i had his willpower at turning down food

I have now taken the stance that he is otherwise fit, healthy and full of life so i just accept he isnt a big eater.

I'd use the packaged ham for training if she really likes it!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
If you have ever looked at my pics you'll see how skinny Copper is. He has never been a big eater and i have no idea why. Wish i had his willpower at turning down food

I have now taken the stance that he is otherwise fit, healthy and full of life so i just accept he isnt a big eater.

I'd use the packaged ham for training if she really likes it!
Yup same, thankfully Bens coat got thicker - but people used to be giving me greif for Ben being so skinny when he was young - while they were saying this he was running rings round their dogs

If health is fine then sometime some dogs are just lean, better than fat imo
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks all. Ill try not to worry. I know you see so many over weight bassets so I should be glad but because they are such a thick set breed perhaps it just looks worse than it is.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Thanks all. Ill try not to worry. I know you see so many over weight bassets so I should be glad but because they are such a thick set breed perhaps it just looks worse than it is.
Haaaaaa I need to get off the wine I read you see so many overweight ******** and was all
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Haaaaaa I need to get off the wine I read you see so many overweight ******** and was all
Do you have practical experience of fat ******* or are you just an armchair expert??
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Do you have practical experience of fat ******* or are you just an armchair expert??
Oh no im.the worlds foremost expert in fat bastardness!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2012, 10:36 PM
I beg to differ................

Arrow eats 3kg of food a day (he weighs around 40 kgs) and is still skinny, I would not worry about it.

As long as the dog has plenty of energy.

The thing with small eaters is to provide a calorifically dense food, so for you Orijen might be an option if you can afford it?

Adding fat CAN help however, you do need to be careful re pancreatitis etc.

Adding a small amount of say Atora a day if the dog will eat it.

Beware, fats are laxative...........
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >