Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chopperheys
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2012, 01:11 AM

Choosing KC names???

Was wondering what people use whilst deciding on a KC name? I previously got to decide one of my Alaskan Malamutes KC name. I did a bit of searching and came up with Gooch Anubis, Gooch apparently meaning wolf and Anubis beaining the god with a Jackel/dog head. I have the opportunity to choose another KC name for another Malamute and was thinking of trying to use either the Inuit or Yup'ik dialect. My problem is I don't know how to pronounce the words and the websites I'm finding have a very limited selection of words.

So does anyone have a specific way of choosing KC names? Or do they know of good sites with the above stated dialects, maybe with pronunciations?

Thanks
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2012, 12:20 PM
I presume that you are talking about the name you register your dog under with the KC. Are you the breeder ?Do you have an affix? I see that your breed is Malamute,so you are looking for names which relate to your breed,if I remember rightly "Anubis" is an Egyptian God therefore I would associate it with Pharoh Hounds not Malamute. I suppose if you study the history of the breed there would be Inuit words included. I am sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick,I just know that when I was looking for names associated with my breed (Borzoi) I checked in as many books as I could concerning the history of Russia.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Does it matter if you are not sure how to say them after all they are written for the KC & I'm sure no one you say the name to will know any better than you.
My litters all had Welsh names (long story) & when I had a litter I turned to the approriate letter for that litter in my Welsh English dictionary & chose their names that way.
chopperheys
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Windhound View Post
I presume that you are talking about the name you register your dog under with the KC. Are you the breeder ?Do you have an affix? I see that your breed is Malamute,so you are looking for names which relate to your breed,if I remember rightly "Anubis" is an Egyptian God therefore I would associate it with Pharoh Hounds not Malamute. I suppose if you study the history of the breed there would be Inuit words included. I am sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick,I just know that when I was looking for names associated with my breed (Borzoi) I checked in as many books as I could concerning the history of Russia.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm the breeder and have an affix. I do want to try and base their names, the KC registered names not pet names, in relation to their history. ooch didn't get much consideration but he also wasn't bred by me, Gooch is (according to google) an Alaskan word for wolf but you're right about Anubis being Egyptian which obviously is quite the opposite from Alaskan. I would ideally like to use an Alaskan dialect for the names but I cant pronounce the words and the OH thinks it's to complicated, so was looking for other peoples thoughts. 3 examples that I have come up with are
1) Affix ikkiyok ikkuma (burning fire)
2) Affix ikkuma kinapak (fire mask)
3) Affix okkroktok issorartuyok (rusty leader dog)
We should be having reds hence the red theme. If I'm correct they're all spelt using Inuit but if my research is correct then Malamutes originated from Yup'ik speaking people. I can't find any online Yup'ik-English dictionaries and the Inuit-English dictionary that I found had a limited choice of words. So was after suggestions of alternative ways of naming them or links to some good online dictionaries.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
chopperheys
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks GSD-Sue. I suppose it isn't a huge deal if I can't pronounce the names, but I am struggling to find a decent source for wordds.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 01:38 PM
have you tried this one
http://www.wordgumbo.com/ea/can/caninu.htm
chopperheys
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
have you tried this one
http://www.wordgumbo.com/ea/can/caninu.htm
Yes that's the site I was using. It starts okay then sort of fizzles out and words that I thought of using i.e. wind, silver, river aren't there. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a word for them, so was looking for a complete word dictionary.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2012, 11:49 AM
This is an interesting challenge - I love he look of the words, but certainly couldnt pronounce them. Please bear in mind that KC names can only be a maximum of 24 letters long - so I hope you have a short affix !

Thalice's Mum
chopperheys
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Thalice View Post
This is an interesting challenge - I love he look of the words, but certainly couldnt pronounce them. Please bear in mind that KC names can only be a maximum of 24 letters long - so I hope you have a short affix !

Thalice's Mum
Christ I had forgotten about that. My affix is 12 letters so I think it's back to the drawing board for some of them.