View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I'll ask my mate tonight about this - she's a nutritionist (and I'm giving her cheesecake ) and very much of the opinion that you shouldn't rule out any food unless you have a specific medical condition. As Mahooli says, all things in moderation!

I use butter, and never margarine. You can get very low-fat margarine, but it's often held together with gelatine, and as a veggie, that's even worse to me than the thought of tupperware on toast!

The plastic analogy is a bit of a red-herring IMO. All fats and oils are part of a family of chemicals which are not unrelated to plastics, but that includes the "natural" ones such as those found in butter, meat or vegetable oil. I try to avoid any foods which contain hydrogenated fats or trans fats - they really are the work of the devil, and are banned in a number of European countries.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Seems this story may not be 100% true

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Trouble is who do you believe
Just read your link - as i read it it is saying the info is basically correct.
The only difference being that since the info was printed in 2003, margarine companies have now wised up and cut out/down the trans fats.
However, the snopes articles doesn't dispute the general findings that margarine is chemically processed, although the one molecule away from plastic claim is pants.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2007, 06:48 PM
After having a very high cholesterol reading a few years ago and was told to have margarine instead of butter. At least now I can go back to having butter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2