Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
debsalive
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Breeding my dogs

I have 3 very beautiful GSDs i am hoping to breed from them and have taken some advice from a trainer that works with Tom Nye and he is willing to let me use one of his stud dogs to introduce some working lines into my pedigrees, the only problem is Toms dogs are all short haired and mine are plush coated and bred for temperament and conformation would this be acceptable or not please help
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Are your dogs health tested?
Do you know people who would want your pups ?
I am sure there will be people along who will have more to say ...
Its not something i would ever go in to lightly ...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by debsalive View Post
I have 3 very beautiful GSDs i am hoping to breed from them and have taken some advice from a trainer that works with Tom Nye and he is willing to let me use one of his stud dogs to introduce some working lines into my pedigrees, the only problem is Toms dogs are all short haired and mine are plush coated and bred for temperament and conformation would this be acceptable or not please help
I take it you have showline GSD?

Well assuming that your bitches have been:

elbow scored 0
Hip scored with a total preferably in single figures
Have a Grade 1 Breed Survey
And some sort of obedience test eg KCGCDS, BH, CDex at the very least

then you can assume your bitches are worth breeding from

Tom (Vytensa) will presumably use one of his dogs which not only has proven working ability but has also been graded at a Sieger, has a KK1 or KK2 as well as meeting the elbow and hip scoring requirements?

A KK1 or KK2 means the dog is recommended or suitable for breeding from and thus has the correct conformation.

Also you will find that dogs bred for sport tend to have superb temperaments.

You need to think very carefully about your intended market.

I have seen several litters of working x with show lines and they do not always turn out to everyone's satisfaction.

What normally happens is that you get a mixture of high drive dogs and ones which have considerably less.

Therefore serious Schutzhund people will be less drawn to your stock and some of the puppies may be too much for pet homes.

You may find more customers from say Working Trials fraternity many of whom prefer a more moderate type of dog.

So before you embark on this endeavour, I would make sure you have thought about what you are really trying to achieve.

Not sure if that helps any.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't worry about the coat issue but I do think you should think of some other things...

What is it that you are hoping to achieve by introducing working line dogs into the mix?

What do you know about the stud dog, is he health tested...titled?

Are your dogs health tested...titled in anything?

There are some people who mix show and working but generally breeders should know the lines and what they are hoping each dog will bring to the table. Otherwise it might not turn out well....
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:59 PM
What is the aim of the breeding?
What do your dogs compete in??
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Please reconsider the intention of breeding. The market is flooded with GSD litters! I am a volunteer for German Shepherd Dog Rescue and it often feels like a losing battle rescuing, fostering and rehoming unwanted GSDs.

Unless your bitches (and stud dogs) are exceptional examples of the breed then breeding from them really should not be an option.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I, and many like me, have to pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong
debsalive
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I take it you have showline GSD?

Well assuming that your bitches have been:

elbow scored 0
Hip scored with a total preferably in single figures
Have a Grade 1 Breed Survey
And some sort of obedience test eg KCGCDS, BH, CDex at the very least

then you can assume your bitches are worth breeding from

Tom (Vytensa) will presumably use one of his dogs which not only has proven working ability but has also been graded at a Sieger, has a KK1 or KK2 as well as meeting the elbow and hip scoring requirements?

A KK1 or KK2 means the dog is recommended or suitable for breeding from and thus has the correct conformation.

Also you will find that dogs bred for sport tend to have superb temperaments.

You need to think very carefully about your intended market.

I have seen several litters of working x with show lines and they do not always turn out to everyone's satisfaction.

What normally happens is that you get a mixture of high drive dogs and ones which have considerably less.

Therefore serious Schutzhund people will be less drawn to your stock and some of the puppies may be too much for pet homes.

You may find more customers from say Working Trials fraternity many of whom prefer a more moderate type of dog.

So before you embark on this endeavour, I would make sure you have thought about what you are really trying to achieve.

Not sure if that helps any.
thanks for your time and advice the dog we intended to use was vytensa asko who has an excellent pedigree and my dogs have some of the showlines bred out and have obedience and police dogs they also have gayville in the pedigree as i am new to this any help or advice is welcome my father bred when i was a child but this will be my first attempt and it goes without saying they must have been hip and elbow scored
debsalive
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
Please reconsider the intention of breeding. The market is flooded with GSD litters! I am a volunteer for German Shepherd Dog Rescue and it often feels like a losing battle rescuing, fostering and rehoming unwanted GSDs.

Unless your bitches (and stud dogs) are exceptional examples of the breed then breeding from them really should not be an option.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I, and many like me, have to pick up the pieces when it all goes wrong
Thank you for your reply but i have no intention of breeding irresponsibly if i do breed i shall be very selective as to who they go to and i shall have it written that if they cant keep or cope they must come back to me, and yes i fully understand your point of view its tragic how many are ill used and abandoned but i shall have everything checked and if advised its not for the breeds improvement and welfare be assured i shall not proceed
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Asko has an elbow score of 0 however his hips are 13:4 = 17]

Whilst this is just below the BMS I would be wary of using a dog which has a hip score in the teens and so uneven.And his sire had a hip score of 12:12 = 24.

He does not have a current clear eye certificate (HC) I note, do your bitches?

Who bred your current bitches?

The reason I ask is that they may have a view if they are experienced.
debsalive
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
What is the aim of the breeding?
What do your dogs compete in??
we do obedience and agility
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >