View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Anyone know how to get blood out of the carpet??

Sounds grim, I know and no I am not covering up a crime
Two of my cats had an almighty fight yesterday which resulted in one of them receiving a nasty bite wound to her leg.

So I now have lots of blood stains on my carpet, they are not splatters but more six or seven areas where she has bled quite heavily.

Any ideas gratefully received!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Poor cat, that sounds awful

A good starting point is cold salt water. don't use hot/warm water to start with or you will find the stain impossible to get out as it sort of 'sets' the blood.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Try white vinegar and talc. Put the vinegar on the stains leave to soak in for 10 mins or so, then cover with talc. The talc soaks up the blood and vinegar. Brush off the talc after a couple of hours. It may take 2 goes but it works. I used this method to get car greece out of my cream suede boots!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:07 AM
good advice from the other posters and i just wanted to say that i hope your kitty is ok.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Agree with Hali soak the stain with cold water (because blood contains proteins that set in hot water) blot with a towel/soak again. If the carpet is colourfast you can scrub with a biological washing powder solution. Dissolve some biological washing powder in a small amount of very hot water then dilute with cold water to make sure it is cold before you apply it to the carpet.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone, I have enough patches to try them all

Misty the cat is ok, has been to the vets and just has severe bruising, poor thing. She has a week of ab to try and make sure it doesn't get infected. Having had a multi cat household for 15 years I have never had anything like this before! They are all back to normal now sleeping in the usual places so I have no idea what kicked that off.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi,

Glad to hear all your cats ar OK.

Years ago my younger brother fell through a glass door. Needless to say, his clothes were soaked i nblood. He refused to throw them away and buy new ones (tight git) so we had to get the blood out somehow. Even when it was dry it looked like it was still wet there was so much of it.

We used a bowl of boiling water and dissolved 2 washing powder tablets in it. We left it to go cold then poured some onto his clothes. Then the area that were wet from the washing powder solution were covered compeltely with normal table salt (I think we used about 4 Kg altogether for the amount of blood). The salt soak up all of the blood.
We then used boiling water again to dissolve the salt then washed it down the sink. Obviously you can't do that with carpet (the last bit I mean) so wait for the salt to soak up the blood and dry of a bit. Then vacuum up what's left.

Voila! Your carpet will be as good as new (well in those patches anyway).

Laura xx

ETA - baby wipes can get gloss paint out of thick pile carpet so they may be worth a try too.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Glad Misty is OK Bless her........

Hope you've managed to get the blood out the carpet x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I've found this for you
Soak bloodstain out of carpet with cold water to which salt has been added, blotting off excess water until stain is removed. Ensure back of carpet is dry, then shampoo. Treat large stains on furnishings by sponging with biological detergent dissolved in water. Small stains can be treated with a paste of salt and cornflour, or salt and starch, left to dry, then brushed off