Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ErikaKa
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2018, 11:45 PM

Shedding Experience?

Hi everyone,

In my research to find a dog that would match my lifestyle, I have realized how subjective the shedding topic is. People seem to have very different opinions on what "light" shedding means. The breeds I am the most interested in learning more about are the Belgian Malinois and the Border Collie.

I have previous experience with Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, German Mittel Spitz, Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix and Golden Retriever. The Spitz hair usually ended up grouped together on the floor, making it easy to clean. The Husky mix's hair, on the other hand, was literally everywhere and I had it with me for weeks after I moved out.

Another detail I am curious about is whether the Malinois and the Border Collie are mainly shedding seasonally or what can I expect for the most of the year?

Any experience or comparison would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Erika
annoellyn
New Member!
Female 

07-04-2018, 09:41 PM
ugh yeah I wish I had paid more attention to shedding. I adopted my dog and she had a great personality and was gorgeous. Now I realize how unprepared I was a for a long haired double coated dog. Hair is EVERYWHERE, on everything. You have a shower and dry off with a clean towel and bam, hair sticks to you. I will be perfectly honest, would not have gotten a long haired dog but I didn't even think of it haha. Now I love her to bits and am already attached, so we deal with it.
I would look up youtube videos of people that own those breeds. I've found great resources that way. Lot's of people do vlogs on there dogs and will talk about shedding as well as just informational videos.
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2018, 12:26 AM
The last shedding dog I had was a Bernese cross, hair everywhere all year round. I now have three Shih Tzu x Maltese, a Miniature Poodle and two Golden Doodles. No hair anywhere and it is really nice.

The disadvantage is they all have to be clipped at some point but as I can do them myself, it is no problem. I did not particularly pick them because of the non-shedding, just prefer the type of temperaments they have, the non-shedding is just a bonus.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by annoellyn View Post
ugh yeah I wish I had paid more attention to shedding. I adopted my dog and she had a great personality and was gorgeous. Now I realize how unprepared I was a for a long haired double coated dog. Hair is EVERYWHERE, on everything. You have a shower and dry off with a clean towel and bam, hair sticks to you. I will be perfectly honest, would not have gotten a long haired dog but I didn't even think of it haha. Now I love her to bits and am already attached, so we deal with it.
I would look up youtube videos of people that own those breeds. I've found great resources that way. Lot's of people do vlogs on there dogs and will talk about shedding as well as just informational videos.
The worst thing about your girl and my Ben is the undercoat isn't it ... it blows around like tumbleweed and sticks to everything. Even those sticky rollers cannot remove all of it. It really is absolutely impossible to keep a clean house. I am off work at the moment and will be hoovering several times a day - we have hard floors everywhere - but still more and more comes!! As you, I have just given up and accepted it and loved my dog and equally hairy dogs for themselves, not what destruction and havoc they wreak on my house and cars!!