View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Silly question...dog positions? Does it depend on the breed?

Ok I have a daft question, you know when collies are ready for action or to do their job how they automatically go into that down and ready for action position? Is that specific to collies or do other breeds do this too without being taught??

Was just wondering (think maybe I need to get out more)

Thanks
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 12:51 PM
When china is ready to go she generally stand upright and alert as possible, ears up, tail up, squared frame etc.....

however if the w.a.l.k. word or c.o.l.l.a.r. is mentioned its generally ears down , tail wagging at 100mph and acting like a lunatic!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
When china is ready to go she generally stand upright and alert as possible, ears up, tail up, squared frame etc.....

however if the w.a.l.k. word or c.o.l.l.a.r. is mentioned its generally ears down , tail wagging at 100mph and acting like a lunatic!
Ha ha mine go loopy at the word p.o.o. b.a.g.s!!!
whitbywoof
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Ok I have a daft question, you know when collies are ready for action or to do their job how they automatically go into that down and ready for action position? Is that specific to collies or do other breeds do this too without being taught??

Thanks
One of my greyhounds has started doing it, but he may have learned that behaviour from copying my collie-cross - he learned much of domestic life from copying her.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Ha ha mine go loopy at the word p.o.o. b.a.g.s!!!
Tilly does too at the word poop scoop only coz she knows when I've finished scooping in the garden we play ball!
She's done the collie down thing since the first time we took her out!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by whitbywoof View Post
One of my greyhounds has started doing it, but he may have learned that behaviour from copying my collie-cross - he learned much of domestic life from copying her.
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Tilly does too at the word poop scoop only coz she knows when I've finished scooping in the garden we play ball!
She's done the collie down thing since the first time we took her out!
So is it just a collie thing then? Although Molly is a collie cross she has never done this and I think has more GSD traits to her nature.

But the foxhound I adopted is most definately a collie!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I have 2 collies, one does it and one doesnt. My Wirehair doesnt do it however so I think it's predominantly a collie thing.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks
I have had flatcoats and they do it, particularly my male who always went into this position when he was concentrating on something very closely - the next step was to begin his stalk - just like a collie showing "eye". I found it was quite easy to drop him from a distance just with a hand signal and then get him to creep with his belly close to the ground - again just like a collie.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 11:09 AM
poor lily is so confused as to what breed she is, because she does it! when she see's another dog she will go into the collie crouch and then she drops to the floor until they come closer. then she will rush up before slamming the brakes on just in time to greet them politely!

dylan has never done the collie crouch or down. think he is confused too!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Heh Dougal goes into a very squared position. His posture is very upright and alert, tail is stock still and his ears up. Then he just starts rumbling forward like a train. It's really funny to watch
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >