Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
reggie52
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2011, 09:40 PM

Feed dog before or after walk?

I am having difficulty with Reggie on walks at the moment. I know part of it is because I have gone back to work after the 6 weeks holiday and he is on his own a lot more but several times during his afternoon walk when I get back he has started jumping up at me and trying to bite and pull at whatever I am wearing. He did this today with my daughter and bit her slightly on her arm. He does not do this in the morning only in the evening - he has his breakfast before his walk but has his dinner after his walk. Would it be better to feed him his dinner before his walk although in winter this would mean walking him totally in the dark?
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Im a bit confused by your post. Is it the jumping up and grabbing your clothes you want to stop? or are you asking if it would be better to feed him before or after his evening walk? I dont think the 2 are connected, hes jumping up in the evening when you get home because he is excited to see you. He doesnt do it in the morning because he has been at home with you all night.

Maybe I have misunderstood your post
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I've always fed my lot after their walk , its better for training reacll & better for their tummy muscles not being overworked due to being full of food IMO.

I agree with the previous post, how long does he get left through the day? I have a GSD-x that tends to 'mouth' us (me) when hes excited, we tell him a firm NO when ever his teeth touch us...he cant help it though, its the way he is & what he does when hes happy lol
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I must admit, I get a little confused about this one as well.

I think that if I feed them about a hour before their evening walk (about 6ish), they can digest it and get rid of it on their walk about 7.30ish.

They then have a bit of supper about 10 before their last walk about 11.30.

It works for my two.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 10:59 PM
It's best to leave a good two hours between feeding and exercising. So I walk my dog in the morning, and he eats afterwards. I would not advise walking a dog straight after feeding.

If your dog is jumping up and mouthing then you need to stop this by ensuring everyone is on the same page and that nobody is encouraging this.

When your dog jumps up, step back and tell him to sit - when he sits, make a huge fuss of him but ONLY make a fuss when all four paws are on the ground. If he keeps jumping, turn your back.

Ditto when he places his teeth on your skin: he should never be allowed to do this. If he does, then a very loud yelp and turning your back for a minute should do the trick.

But again, you all need to be doing this. It won't work if you stick to it but then friends and family just let him keep on jumping up etc... Good luck
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I leave at least an hour between Rupert eating and us going for a walk. Apparently feeding just before exercise increases the risk of bloat.

I doubt the not being fed before the walk and the jumping and grabbing are related to be honest.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Not too sure about that Sarah, Ruby & Sasi don't get fed before walk, are left same amount of time as Khal, yet hes the only jumper/nipper I've got x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I, too, was a bit confused about your post...

I always leave 1 hour between feeding and then going a walk. When I had Paddy (Irish Setter) here, I always left it 2 hours to be extra cautious since he is a deep chested breed.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by reggie52 View Post
I am having difficulty with Reggie on walks at the moment. I know part of it is because I have gone back to work after the 6 weeks holiday and he is on his own a lot more but several times during his afternoon walk when I get back he has started jumping up at me and trying to bite and pull at whatever I am wearing. He did this today with my daughter and bit her slightly on her arm. He does not do this in the morning only in the evening - he has his breakfast before his walk but has his dinner after his walk. Would it be better to feed him his dinner before his walk although in winter this would mean walking him totally in the dark?
It is irrelevant whether or not you feed before or after a walk, as long as you leave sufficient time between exercise and food.

This behaviour is typical attention seeking behaviour and often occurs in a dog that is under stimulated either mentally or physically (or both).

This is easily resolved by making sure you give him some undivided attention for an amount of time per day and making sure you interact with him both out on the walk ie doing some training, throwing balls etc.

In the house doing some training which makes him mentally tired.

As for walking him in the dark, welcome to my world, in the winter I walk in the dark morning and evening!

You do not say how old your dog is but you need to have a ZERO tolerance to this behaviour by giving the dog specific consequences for it, ie time outs, lack of attention for whatn only two paws are on the floor and food, toys, attention for when all four paws are on the floor.

TEETH AND FLESH do not mix.
reggie52
New Member!
Female 

18-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Sorry - I was not very clear when I posted before. When Reggie jumps up in the house he is given time out in the hallway behind his safety gate. The excessive jumping and nipping only really happen when we are walking him - he gets really overexcited and throws himself at whoever is walking him jumping and grabbing and pulling at whatever is on them - clothes and sometimes arms. It is really difficult to stop him as he seems so hyped up that nothing gets through to him. He is about 3 1/2 (not known exactly as he came to us about a year ago as a stray) and has always used his mouth a lot - he is a terrible chewer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >