Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2013, 09:15 AM

So naughty

I have been trying to get Fred into the house for past 40 mins as its a nice day and i want to go out for a cycle, i have tried tempting him with cheese and calling but i have ended up chasing him all round the garden as he thinks its a game, how or what can i do to get him to come to me !!!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Try getting ready and take your keys and go out of the front door, then wait a min and pop back in, if he's like my 2 he will Come to see who's at the door x
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Of course he has got mum to play chasing him round the garden, that is a lot of fun to him and he is NOT being naughty, he is being a dog doing what dogs do.

How I get a dog to come in when I ask them, I call once, if they don't come I close the door making sure my dog can hear it. I wait until my dog comes to the door, open it, give the command, if he runs off I close the door again and continue like this.

My dog is outside on his own, nobody to play with, he will eventually walk in when I open the door, I then give him a very high reward and praise.

Occasionally I need to reinforce this when my dog tries to test the boundaries but once I have been through the first attempt I rarely have to close the door more than once.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Can't say I've ever had this problem but my thinking is that the LAST thing any dog would want to do is 'go indoors' if you are chasing it round the garden lol! They'd think it was great fun!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
I have the opposite problem I just cannot get Baxter out in the garden, it drives me nuts, when he knows he has to go outside he charges upstairs. Sometimes I have to march him out there!

Anyway - I think Zoeyvonne's idea is a good one, use their intense curiosity/nosiness to your advantage.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
We should never lie to our dogs, they are not stupid, kidding them may work once but it can destroy your dog's trust in you. Pretending to go out just to get your dog in is lying to our dog and the next time we want to go out in the car, pick up our keys, I wouldn't get my dogs in. Much better to teach them to come in on command.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Oh I don't know - just yesterday I told my dog I was going to be out for about 10 minutes - I wasn't I was gone for about an hour - today I told him that I didn't have any treats for him, the nasty dog-treat man had stolen them - that wasn't true either, I'd just forgotten to pick some up. I think it was the sincerity in my voice that fooled him to be honest.

Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We should never lie to our dogs, they are not stupid, kidding them may work once but it can destroy your dog's trust in you. Pretending to go out just to get your dog in is lying to our dog and the next time we want to go out in the car, pick up our keys, I wouldn't get my dogs in. Much better to teach them to come in on command.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Oh I don't know - just yesterday I told my dog I was going to be out for about 10 minutes - I wasn't I was gone for about an hour - today I told him that I didn't have any treats for him, the nasty dog-treat man had stolen them - that wasn't true either, I'd just forgotten to pick some up. I think it was the sincerity in my voice that fooled him to be honest.

Award for funniest post of the day!
I lie too. I say the same thing to Bella EVERY TIME I go out and leave her. I say 'wontbelong-wontbelong' whether I am going out for 15 mins or 4 hours. But then how long is long? lol!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
It's so frustrating when they do that isn't it, not to mention disastrous if you are trying to meet a deadline.

If it was me, I would start from scratch and set aside some time each day when you don't actually need to go out. Arm yourself with a very high value treat such as a bit of cheese, sausage, banana or whatever rocks your dog's boat and sit just inside the door. Call him in, and if he doesn't come straight away leave it a minute or two then call again whilst making the treat obviously available. When he does eventually come, give him the treat and make a huge fuss then go and get on with whatever you want whilst leaving the door open. Keep doing this several times a day if possible, and on at least one occasion shut the door when he has come in. Gradually you should find that he comes like a rocket for his treat, and is not worried because that door is not always shutting him in.

Same principle as when teaching the recall outside really.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Why thank you Tangutica.

You don't think Bella cottoned on yet then? I bet she's sat there fuming whilst you're out, thinking to herself "I've only gone and fallen for her lie AGAIN"!.

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

Award for funniest post of the day!
I lie too. I say the same thing to Bella EVERY TIME I go out and leave her. I say 'wontbelong-wontbelong' whether I am going out for 15 mins or 4 hours. But then how long is long? lol!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >