Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Some advice please - Metacam related

Cassie has had an upset stomach for the past 2 days, and has been on anti-biotics since yesterday. She normally has Metacam at night for her stiffness, but I stopped this last night, and again tonight, as I know in itself it can cause upset stomach (but that's not what Cassie has, she's got something else!). Have any of you continued with Metacam whilst your dog has had an upset stomach, and am I just being a bit too precautious?(sp?) I don't want her to be in pain, and yet I don't want her stomach any more upset than it is now! Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I can't ring the vet over the week-end to ask! Thanks.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Helena, I have two dogs on Metacam. I noticed that you give it to Cassie at night. I was told by vet to give it in the morning with their breakfasts. Do you give it with food? It can upset their stomachs if given alone.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Hiya Aitch,
Roxy is on Metacam and has hers just prior to her breakfast. She recently had a nasty bladder infection, but I kept on with the Metacam with no adverse effects. I know this isn't the same as an upset tum...
Hope Cassie feels better soon xox
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh I didn't know that?? I have always given it at night with her evening meal? I did that because she is at her worst at night when she's lying down a lot in the evening and overnight, whereas in the mornings she's not stiff at all (in anticipation of our morning walk!! )

But yes, I would always, always give it with her food. She gets 3 meals a day, so I could change it to one of the others, but my vet never told me when to feed it, so I just went by my instinct?

Her current problem is an EPI flare up, which I'm well used to, so it's nothing whatsoever to do with the actual Metacam I know that, but I thought it might be better to lay off the Metacam whilst she recovers? Thing is, I don't want he in pain tonight when she climbes into bed!

I suppose I will have to ask the vet tomorrow whether to lay off it for the whole 5 days. Would you still give your dogs Metacam then if they had diarrhea (no sickness)??? I think I might be wise to lay off it quite honestly
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks Vicki, so it seems breakfast is the time to feed it then??? Did your vet tell you that also. Why didn't my vet tell me that then!!!!!! It doesn't say on the packet either does it!??? I just felt because of the way she is at night, and it works sort of instantly doesn't it, she's better off having it at dinner time?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
TBH, Aitch, I think it's what suits your dog. Poor old Rox has had so much medication, I just always give it at breakfast time, as Baz feeds the dogs at night. You know you can't trust a man to do anything right.......
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Funnily enought (well not that funny for Hoki or us really) but Hoki is on metacam & has an upset stomach at the moment.

The vet specifically told us not to continue with it whilst her stomach was upset. (Mind you, as we haven't fed her, we hadn't given her any anyway).

Re morning or evening - we had always given it morning, but like Cassie, Hoki was always worse at night, so we switched it to the evening. I'm now wondering whether this could have caused the upset stomach, but I can't really see what difference it makes, providing it is given with food, which it always is.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Oh I see where you're coming from now then Vicki!

I know it gets in the system anyway and stays there, but to me, because it acts so very instantly (like our headache pills!) and because my dog is worse at night (I've never seen her stiff in the mornings even prior to being prescribed Metacam)I am of the opinion to give it to her when she's at her worst, i.e.nightime. Having said that, I suppose you could also be of the opinion that breakfast is a better time so the dog can move around more freely during the daytime, but like I said, mine isn't particularly bad during the day as she never sits still!

Thanks for your help anyway, I'll have to ask my vet when I phone tomorrow whether I can carry on with it this week.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi Hali, well I think you've answered my question then - I will hold the Metacam until Cassie is 100%. I'm erring on the side of caution here, because although she did a normal hard poo this morning, it was caked in blood, so until I see a completely normal one, I'm not giving it to her. So thanks for that!!! If you vet said it, it must be the correct way to go I think.

Sorry to hear your Hoki has been suffering too, but like you said, I really don't think changing over to the nightime would have made her like she is? As long as it's given with a good substantial meal, there shouldn't be a problem, unless the Metacam per se is causing a problem. I know with this stuff you have to stop it instantly if you're getting any sickness or diarrhea, but my Cassie's problem is completely different with her ongoing condition which flares up every 6 months.I hope your Hoki is better soon too, there does seem to be quite a lot of upset tums around at the moment Thanks for letting me know what your own vet said, that's very helpful to me
Gill W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2007, 08:35 PM
One of my boys is on Metacam for a leg injury and he gets it with his evening meal. The vet gave him an injection of it in the evening and told us to carry on giving it with the evening meal.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >