Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Brace yourselves

We are in for more snow its snowing right now as I type this and has been very ever so slightly all morning and thought id give the chooks a clean out before the next snowfall, I want to keep their beds as dry as possible as parasites are easily caught when everything turns damp and dark.

I bring my water bowls in over night and they dont freaze during the day that way, don't forget that animals can dehydrate the same in winter if they don't have access to water.

I don't work at the moment so things have been easy for me but how do you cope in this weather with your outdoor pets and work???

Do you find it easy, do you struggle? Do have any tips for this kind of weather for other owners with out door pets??

Give your chickens porrige oats in this weather and a helping of meal worms as it will help keep them warm, mine were all toasty when I picked them up and put them back in their run ^^
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I don't know how people do it - I've just done the rounds of breaking ice and making sure everything has got water. We are lucky in that there is a lot of natural water, even in this weather but I still like them to have something.

I also kept Dusty (Section A) in today as the ground is so hard and she had her feet trimmed yesterday (she is also prone to laminitis) and I've just gone to give her some more hay and water.

I am lucky in that we both work from home so there is usually someone around to do those jobs.

Helen