Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Neutering with boys

Icon humps a lot.....

BUT he's been doing it since he was 9 weeks old! I've had to get a "get off" spray which works, but obviously I don't like doing it when other dogs are around as its not fair on them. I won't have him done yet as he's only 7 months old and I'd like to wait until he's stopped growing. But does anyone have an opinion on boy dogs being "done"?

I know about the risks of testicular cancer etc, but I'm just not sure I want to neuter him....

Any thoughts welcome!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 06:53 PM
If you can bear it, id wait till hes 18months, wait till his hea
ds developed & hes bodied up abit.& looks Masculine! IF you can bear it, if its causing too much of a prob you may have to do it earlier!!!! You need to do what suits you & Icon best
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't want to do it at all to be honest, I'm just sick of everyone saying to have him done now (which I'd never do as he's no where near finished developing!) x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 06:57 PM
My friend had flynns Half brother & he Humped for Britain, really Bad she had him done early (8months) & hes turned out ok, nice size, nice head , good coat, & it stpopped him humping.

Apart from the humping how is he with other dogs? friendly? unsure?

& life in general?

If hes a confident little extorvert id maybe go for it, if he lacks any bottle id leave it till he matures abit.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I personally do not believe in nuetering males except for health reasons. The chance of him getting testicular cancer is so low that in my opinion it does not warrant having a dog neutered.

As regards humping there is no proof to support that it stops this.

You asked for opinions and this is mine, for what it's worth though I know many will disagree with me.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:08 PM
opps forgot to add, i also dont believe in neturing for the sake of it, both my boys are entire. Flynn wont ever be used cos he has bad hips, but i still like him entire! he like being a cocky Bloke!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Lorna, your dog, so you do what you feel is best. My two are both un-neutered ( my choice ). They used to "hump" frequently, and I let them know it was undesired behaviour.

Now, there is one time of the day when they prefer to carry out this behaviour, which is after their dinner (3pm - 4pm) During this time I watch and wait and as soon as they appear to want to start I immediately intervene and distract them.

When I had just the one boy, ( before my current two ) who was neutered and also liked to "hump" certain toys, I simply removed those toys.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I am having Hec done. He's 7 mths & will be done soon.
1) to stop humping/excessive marking.
2) I'm getting a girl puppy @ the end of the year so needs must.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:21 PM
He is very confident, but cautious, which is good! He only cocked his leg for the first time (when I've seen him do it) today! He is wonderful with all dogs, but tends to try and hump spayed females!

I don't want to get him done if I'm honest, if I can get him to cut out the humping, there seems to be no reason why! And to be honest, I'm not convinced it would make much difference! I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants/has an entire dog thanks guys x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Girls hump too, Nellie humps my leg (she M****B***s on my foot with her bits!!! urgghhh) & Perdi humps lily!!! bit Ot i know! sorry for being graphic!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >