Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 02:41 PM

Physiotherapy

Went and saw a physiotherapist today. She was very nice, which was a big relief as I was really nervous for some silly reason!

It has now been 2 weeks and 2 days since our car crash.

She took a history, and examined my back. She asked me what I wanted her to concentrate on, what aspect of my back injury is the worst - I said the lower back aching/pain and the weak, jelly like feeling in my left leg.

She says the feeling in my leg is due to nerve compression, which can be released. The rest is basically trauma to the soft tissues in my back as a result of the car crash.

I have exercises to do at home, and am seeing her again on Friday. She is able to sign me off work so no need to get a note off the doctor - I was hoping to return to work next week, but I distinctly heard her say these things usually take 4 to 6 weeks to get over.

I want to go back, but will do as I am told.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 04:30 PM
trish please dont rush back to work cos you can often make things worse. i have had whiplash a few times - car accident prone - and i know that it often gets a lot worse before it gets better. the best thing is doing the exercises that you have been told and to take things easy.

i hope i havent offended you - dont want to nag

sue
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Sue, no offence at all! It does me good to know others have been in similar situations, this is all new to me.
I appreciate your post! x
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Trish i really sympathise with you. Back pain is just the worst pain anybody can have.
I had a nasty accident when i was 16 after falling off one of the horses at the stables where i still work. I suffered for years, but it got better.
When i gave up smoking 14th June 05 i put on 3 stone. I was walking the dogs round a local field when suddenly i fell down a hole & ruptured my vertabra, ligament & muscle. I had to go to hospital & was off work for 6 weeks. I was dosed up on Diazapam, Co-codamol & anti-inflamatories. I would rather of given birth to triplets.
I had physio & it was the best thing ever. I still do my stretching exercises. You never really fully recover from back injuries but exercises help strengthen your back up. Listen to your physio, they are a god send. I really hope you feel better soon. Its worst in the morning because your spine fills with fluid making very painful to move.
Best wishes
Julie XX
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Thankyou Julie, your words are much appreciated. xx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Trish

I have only just read this, so sorry to hear about your accident

I can only echo what Blackie's Mum and Jules1 have said: listen to the advice of your physiotherapist and take things easy!

In 2002 I had an rta when someone in a range rover ran into the back of my fiesta. I initially went back to work after a couple of days but I felt much worse for it. I was never the sort of person to take time off work but did eventually get signed off for 6 weeks.

My dad is a retired othopaedic surgeon who now provides medical reports for people who have been involved in rtas and falls at work and I type these reports for him. Almost always he recommends physio for soft tissue injuries and the people that have physio do on the whole recover much more quickly.

Hope you are feeling better soon.x
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Thankyou Jane.

I did my exercises earlier, and could feel something feeling easier, if that makes any sense!! I know there is no quick fix, the impatient part of me doesn't like that!!!
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi Trish,

Im sorry to hear about your accident.

I have been seeing Physio's on and off for a few years now, I have RA (Rhumatoid Arthritis) and know they really do help... If you stick with it.

All I can say is the truth, its going to be hard and (it was in my case) extreemely painful.
I often went out of that place in tears, I was worse when I went out than I was going in, thats the truth.

I personally couldnt cope with it anymore and gave up, for days afterwards I couldnt walk and it would just about get somewhat better, then another round of physio was due and I was in the same bedridden situation again.

I wish you luck and strenth, I know Physio can work wonders, I know people who swore by it, but it wasnt for me.

Keep us updated!

Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Sorry to hear you have had such a rough time. But thankyou for your words of encouragement.

I am to do the exercises she gave me twice a day - the second lot yesterday didn't feel as good as the first, and I didn't have a great nights sleep. Being naturally impatient this is really testing that side of me!!

I had physio as a teenager, on my knees. I remember one session I walked into and came out on crutches, barely able to walk for a little while! I had been wrongly diagnosed, moved, changed GP and within 6 months had the surgery that sorted the problem once and for all!! That's a whole different story though!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I had some ultrasound this afternoon, she can feel quite a bit of inlamation around part of my lower spine.

Signed off work next week.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >