View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Zeke's first acupuncture session (update @ post 20 - Photos of needles included)

Zeke's in his nineth month in remission from Lymphoma following his chemo treatment. He's doing really well, but for a few months has had a recurring limp, believed to be arthritis in his shoulder (from xrays 2 years ago which showed evidence of arthritis starting). Short courses of medication haven't worked and we're reluctant to put him on long term medication due to the cancer which has no doubt affected his immune system.

He has vitamins and supplements added to his diet, eats a good diet, wears a bio collar, is on a reduced exercise plan and sleeps on nice warm beds..

This weekend he's booked in for his first acupuncture session, and initial consultation. I have such high hopes I really hope i'm not disappointed

But what i'd like to ask is to people who've had it themselves, or their dogs, what exactly does the treatment feel like? How did your dogs react?

I'm so scared it will hurt /stress him. He's generally a laid back lad, very good, got through chemo no problems, such a brave soldier but i can't help but feel anxious for him, poor thing - he has a sore shoulder so we stick pins in it!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 07:12 PM
ive worked with two vets that have used and trained in acupuncture ,and also took my old lurcher for regular sessions,

it does not hurt(he was a lurcher,scream at the slightest thing but quiet when its really serious )

we would sit on the floor(well id end up laying) and he used to really chill out...try not to stress

bear in mind,he may have more symptoms after the first couple of sessions,and you will know by the 3rd/4th whether its worth continuing with.

good luck
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I hope it goes well for Zeke.

My mum's lab had it done pre hip replacement and, like you, she was a bit concerned about how he would feel. He was relaxed about it, he moved slightly with one of the needles but other than he lay there quite relaxed during the session. It did seem to give him some relief as well.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi Akita

I have never known dogs to have acupuncture before, but I had it some years ago for pains in my neck and shoulder.

At the time, I worked at the hospital, and had done for some ten years. It was given to staff for injuries at work. (lifting patients etc).

It was during my first session, that once the needles went in, (not painful at all), I was left lay on a bed on my front for about 20 minutes. During this time, I felt as if my head was being surrounded by swirling black clouds. I told one of the staff and they took out the needles immediately. They then told me to go home, and any further problems, contact them immediately.

They didn't give me any explanation as to what it was, but I then had this same sensation of swirling black clouds for a further 3 weeks or so with horrific headaches.

Obviously acupuncture has come a long way since then, and a lot more research has gone into the procedures.

Just watch Zeke once he has had his session for him feeling down, depressed, low etc.

Good Luck, and hope the treatment is successful.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 07:37 PM
I've no personal experience but did see a TV programme a while ago where they were doing it on a dog and the dog laid down and went to sleep. Didn't seem to bother him in the slightest. I hope it helps Zeke with his limp.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Hope it helps the lovely Zekey boy.

I have had one course of acupuncture and whilst I didn't find it pleasant, it wasn't painful.

One of my sister's took her old Spinone for regular acupuncture sessions and she said she used to really relax and end up very laid back and having a snooze.

Try not to worry {{hugs}}
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
ive worked with two vets that have used and trained in acupuncture ,and also took my old lurcher for regular sessions,

it does not hurt(he was a lurcher,scream at the slightest thing but quiet when its really serious )

we would sit on the floor(well id end up laying) and he used to really chill out...try not to stress

bear in mind,he may have more symptoms after the first couple of sessions,and you will know by the 3rd/4th whether its worth continuing with.

good luck
Brilliant, thankyou. Aw bless him, glad to hear this didn't bother him though Yeah, we're pencilled in for 2 sessions the next 2 saturdays then I go on maternity so am going to have the next 2 after that or however many we need maybe a little closer together.

The vet I spoke to said that a week or less apart is more effective? How often were you taking your lurcher?

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I hope it goes well for Zeke.

My mum's lab had it done pre hip replacement and, like you, she was a bit concerned about how he would feel. He was relaxed about it, he moved slightly with one of the needles but other than he lay there quite relaxed during the session. It did seem to give him some relief as well.
Thank you, great to hear xx

Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
Hi Akita

I have never known dogs to have acupuncture before, but I had it some years ago for pains in my neck and shoulder.

At the time, I worked at the hospital, and had done for some ten years. It was given to staff for injuries at work. (lifting patients etc).

It was during my first session, that once the needles went in, (not painful at all), I was left lay on a bed on my front for about 20 minutes. During this time, I felt as if my head was being surrounded by swirling black clouds. I told one of the staff and they took out the needles immediately. They then told me to go home, and any further problems, contact them immediately.

They didn't give me any explanation as to what it was, but I then had this same sensation of swirling black clouds for a further 3 weeks or so with horrific headaches.

Obviously acupuncture has come a long way since then, and a lot more research has gone into the procedures.

Just watch Zeke once he has had his session for him feeling down, depressed, low etc.

Good Luck, and hope the treatment is successful.
Oh gosh, sorry to hear that, sounds awful, we're definately going to have to keep a close eye on him because like we always say, we don't know what they're thinking or how they're feeling exactly. Luckily we've got all day Saturday and Sunday at home with him.

When he was put on Tramadol as a pain relief, the same day he seemed spaced out and just not right so we stopped the tablets, it was easy to spot he wasn't himself so hopefully we'll notice anything odd about him xx

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
I've no personal experience but did see a TV programme a while ago where they were doing it on a dog and the dog laid down and went to sleep. Didn't seem to bother him in the slightest. I hope it helps Zeke with his limp.
Thankyou xxx Great to hear! I've been too scared to even look vids up on youtube etc, i was even scared about posting this incase the replies were all negative which would make me worry more!

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Hope it helps the lovely Zekey boy.

I have had one course of acupuncture and whilst I didn't find it pleasant, it wasn't painful.

One of my sister's took her old Spinone for regular acupuncture sessions and she said she used to really relax and end up very laid back and having a snooze.

Try not to worry {{hugs}}
Thankyou, trying my hardest to think positive, i'm actually now quite excited, and becoming (possibly a bit too) hopeful about it, expecting big things, I even asked the lady if it might cure his cancer forever too!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:41 AM
I took loads of chewy treats for the first session. After 10 minutes the dog tends to doze off though.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I took loads of chewy treats for the first session. After 10 minutes the dog tends to doze off though.
Brill, thank you, the lady said this, going to make him something special Ooh i do hope it relaxes him like you say, enough to doze off! Do they lay on a hard surface, or at least a blanket or something, he'll just be on the floor won't he being such a big dog? Shall I take a bed?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 03:21 PM
well,its a vet doing it right?(if its not dont go!!)..they should have plenty of vetbeds u can use

and most dogs do end up dozing off...u may even too

i was going once every 5-7 days
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >