View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Good, glad it is getting better, would think most pups get an upset tummy when they move to a new home, the tip about getting a few bottles of the breeders water helps a lot I have found but even so some pups will still have soft stools for about 10 days and then settle down.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Well you may be right but millions of puppies have been wormed by thousands of breeders for at least 50 years with out them all suffering from bloody diarrhoea so I don't see why it should have suddenly become the dangerous thing to do, not worming is as a pup carrying a worm load will not flourish.
I agree - a puppy should definitely be wormed, however why load such a young vulnerable body with toxic chemicals when there are just as effective natural alternatives out there?

Agreed - some pups will have a robust enough immune system to cope with the toxic load and not show any visible symptoms - doesn't mean it doesn't hamper the immune system though or adversely contribute to poor health long term. Blood in the stool is not going to be from an upset tummy. There is going to be a real cause for it.

I don't know what breeders were using 50 years ago, although they can't have been using chemical dewormers as I think they only hit the market in the mid 70's. Presumably they used the natural methods back then - it's pharmaceutical companies that advocated change, there was never any need to start using chemicals for worms.

I have experienced this first hand and hence did the research, so I'm not talking out of turn here unfortunately.

ETA - incidentally, have you not noticed that we've had a sudden spate of "puppy with diarrhoea" threads lately, and in all but one case (where not stated), the puppy had just been wormed.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2