Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maltese lover
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2008, 04:25 PM

Queen of Jealousy

Hi i am new to Dogsey and I have some questions. I have a 1 ½ year old Maltese Female (Ezra) and I got her when she was about 9 weeks old. She was my world and always my center of attention. She was potty trained very well and was the happiest puppy. I just got a 10 week old male Maltese (Capone) and Ezra is not happy. She is really acting out and seems very depressed. If Capone tries to play with her she just grawls or snaps at him and he just thinks shes playing he has never fought back. She is also going to the bathroom on the floor and even in my bed the other night.

I have reprimanded her when she misbehaves and she just keeps acting out. I also try to give her extra attention to show her that she is not forgotten about or been replaced. But I feel bad for Capone she wont let me play with him if I do then she wants to play and yells at him to make him stop and go away.

It has only been a week but I am lost with what to do. If anyone has any advise at all please help!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Well she's clearly not best chuffed that she now has to share her home and her people with the new addition and is doing her best to make him go away. A bit like a spoilt only child when a new baby comes along.

Go back to basics with her training, train them individually in plain sight of each other but unable to get to each other so either seperated by a baby gate, crate or playpen or similar. Only reward her when her behaviour is desirable, certainly don't make a fuss of her while she is acting out, or yelling at him to go away. Gradually work towards her being out while you're playing/training with him and reward her for not interfering, work towards you being able to sit with one either side of you calmly being stroked. If she acts up put her straight back in the playpen and carry on with the little one. It's hard but she has to get over it, your not hers and hers alone and she needs to learn to share.
As the the piddling in the house and bedroom it sounds like she's claiming her space and scent marking, reclaim it as yours by eliminating the smell and keeping her contained if necessary. Hope you see signs of improvement soon.