View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
afield4@me.com
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2015, 04:46 PM

Worried Greyhound Owner - Am I feeding the right food?

Hello, just wondered if anyone could give some advice. We have a retired Greyhound he's been with us for three weeks we are currently feeding him dried food Arden & Grange and Chappie but heard Chappie isn't great so will be changing to Natures Diet. So much conflicting advice from people! Am I feeding the right food. He loves it and his stools are fine but would really value the advice from another Retired Greyhound owner

Thanking you in advance
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Don't have a geyhound but I do have whippets and have previously had a lurcher .
If your dog is happy and healthy on his food I'm not too sure why you would change it .
Chappie is a good food and in fact is often recommended by vets for dogs with a sensitive stomach .
I do know greyhounds can have problems with their teeth so a dry food is probably a good idea .
Ps welcome to the forum .
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2015, 06:20 PM
I quite agree with Fernsmum, I have used Chappie for several dogs on a vets recommendation. They thrived on it.
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2015, 08:31 PM
I have 2 Greyhounds mine are on a dried biscuit (designed specially for greyhounds) I buy from the RGT and tinned meat pedigree chum which suits mine just fine. If he is healthy I personnally wouldn't change.
If it aint broke don't fix it
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Agree with everyone else. You feed a food your dog does well on. If his coat looks good, if his poops are small and firm, if he's bright eyed and happy, then there is no need to change.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2015, 10:35 PM
I agree with the above, if he's doing ok and he is happy leave him what he's on
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-02-2015, 11:07 PM
There is nothing at all wrong with what you are feeding him and as you say he is healthy and happy on it, so why change it! I generally feed raw to mine, but do mix it with Red Mills high protein greyhound kibble, just for variety and at 27% protein it keeps weight on a dog that is working hard. This is not a recommendation just a bit of background info for your perusal. The only thing I would definitely add to his diet is an occasional large raw bone, with a view to keeping teeth clean and giving a little bit of entertainment/variety to mealtimes. Good luck and enjoy life with your new friend, they are charming companions and lovely dogs.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Having had Retired Greyhounds the main thing is not to fall into the "working" food trap. They are not working and do not need the energy that those foods give. Ours have had Scats own Gold Menu, Arden Grange, Vets Kitchen and Chappie.

I'd stick with what they've been having as it is working jsut fine.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Plus, there's a lot of hype around. So many companies looking to make an extra buck by convincing you their brand has something your dog can't do without. Don't get sucked in. There are dogs with special dietary needs, but most of them do fine on ordinary dog food, perhaps with some healthy treats thrown in.